Common issues when installing and configuring Synergy 1
Help & Troubleshooting
If you have issues configuring Synergy, please take a look at the following tips.
- Make sure to install Synergy on all the computers you will use.
- Choose which computer's keyboard and mouse you will use and configure that as a master in the installation process.
- Make sure to add the "client" computers in the "Configure Server" on the server computer.
- Please note that you can only place the computers to the left/right/top/bottom, you can't put them in corners.
- You can only place a client computer once even if you have multiple monitors on any of the machines. After you add the client computer, Synergy will treat them as one big computer screen.
- In the Configure Server section, double click on each computer to change the Screen name. This needs to match the client name that you gave. Note: make sure that the names you gave should not have spaces in the middle, the beginning, or the end of the name. Please also check that you are only using UTF-8 characters.
- If you change the screen name in "Settings”, you need to exit and open Synergy again for it to take effect.
- After making any change on the server or the client, always click Apply.
- In case you are using Windows and your Windows user name has special non-UTF characters in it, e.g., "ÜsérNäme," note that this username is not going to work. You will need to save the configuration file to a different path, for example, "C:\Synergy\configuration.cnf". For more details, view this article.
Check out our Initial Setup and Configuration Walkthrough video for a step by step guide.
Talk to a human
If this article didn't help, you can talk to someone on our support team.