Stefan Geißler

Shift key not working windows 8.1

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I am using the latest release version of Synergy (1.7.3-stable) on a 64 bit system. I am running Windows 8.1 as a server connecting to a Linux machine running Linux Mint 17.2 Unfortunately the shift key is not working (nor is caps lock). I know that there was a reported bug that claimed that a security update of windows 8.1 caused this issue. The issue is however closed. So is there anything wrong with my configuration? What information do i have to provide so you guys can help me out? I just bought synergy, hence i am totaly new to the forum. Regards, Stefan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm, very strange... I haven't seen anyone else report this. I hope this isn't the beginning of a comeback for this problem. If you try setting the Linux system as the server and the Windows as the client, does the problem still happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi the-wes, Thank you for your reply. I just tried the swapped setup where the Linux Mint 17.2 machine acts as server while the Windows 8.1 machine connects as a client. That works perfectly. So it seems my Windows 8.1 installation is affected by the "no shift" issue thingy. Any advice on how to fix that without uninstalling security updates (which is kind of a total no-go)? Regards and thank you in advance, Stefan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
As I recall, people who experienced this issue previously were able to work around it by avoiding using the GUI and system service to run Synergy. They would run synergys from the command line. See here: http://synergy-project.org/wiki/Command_line I suppose I would make extra-sure that you're running the latest version of Synergy. This issue was fixed in 1.6.1 I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi, Thanks, i will try the command line mode as soon as possible. Just checked: I am running 1.7.3 on both the Windows as well as the Linux machine. [b]Update:[/b] I just tried. Running synergys from the command line DOES solve the problem. Very strange, though. I guess i will just remove the deamon and server from autostart and start in manually via batch file if needed. Thank you very much for your help. Although i still would be interrested in why the problem occurs in the first place. [b]Update 2:[/b] I just got a "client dead" message a few minutes after the connection was established. So back to the start. Regards, Stefan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi again, I just went back to using 1.6.3 on both machines. That seems to have solved the problem. Thank you for your help. I will report back if anything stops working again. Regards, Stefan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now