Mouse extremely laggy on WiFi, works OK on Ethernet

If you can't figure out where else to post.

Re: Mouse extremely laggy on WiFi, works OK on Ethernet

Postby ZenBalancer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:17 am

I have the same issue, and the Synergy Support Agent said this to be a bug and offered me a refund or waiting for a fix.

I'm waiting for a fix, with no timeline given.

Postby Peter B. » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:14 pm

Same issue here.
I know Synergy since its early days, and I've been using it in several environments without issues or lag. Even over WiFi.
The older version from Ubuntu's default repositories (v1.3.8) works fine.

With the current version 1.8.6-stable-2ab21aa, I experience the mouse-lag on a notebook over WiFi.
Connecting a cable is not an option, since this notebook doesn't have a connector anymore.

Anything we could do to help debugging this issue?

Postby Peter B. » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:09 am

I've now attached a borrowed USB ethernet adapter, and I can confirm that the mouse/keyboard lag is only an issue on WiFi.

Yet, it is still extremely annoying, and more of an issue as less notebooks have RJ45 jacks anymore :(
Is this something that can't be fixed, or is it simply very tricky to fix?
(Just curious to know if there's a remedy to expect :))

Thanks in advance!

Postby Ruben Vandeginste » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:26 am

I recently bought Synergy and I have the same problem: keyboard and mouse are lagging, which is very annoying. It does not seem consistent: at times it does work fluently and at other times mouse and keyboard get stuck for a couple of seconds. Both server and client are connected over WiFi.

Is any work done on this? This seems to be an existing issue since at least may 2016...

Postby Lyndsay Weitzel » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:14 pm

Inconsistent lag can happen easily because of the way wireless connections work. Even on a network with only one client device can see lag simply because of electromagnetic noise in the air.

A few things you can do:

Run a ping utility to get an idea what kind of lag spikes your network has. Try it with normal network use and when no other devices are in use. Compare different wireless networks if you have the option.

Disable any unneeded apps that regularly use the network connection. This is important especially with download programs, such as a torrent client. Even when set to use only a small portion of your total bandwidth, the constant connection will introduce lag.

Check your wireless device. Reorienting the antenna, using a replacement antenna, physical position, signal barriers (walls), distance, Quality of Service (QoS) settings, checking for updates, signal channel, wireless protocol, replacement, etc.

Previous

Return to General Discussion