Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Chronic waste of time

Charles Stepp
:cry: Every time I change O/S or install Synergy on a new O/S it it works to burn up a few hours of my time to get it to work. Every time. Just replaced Linux Mint with Windows 10 (Linux partion to be added later). Why is synergyd on my unchanged Windows 7 Pro listening on 24801? Why? Uninstall, reinstall. And the @@#%% thing forgot nothing!! Seriously with a proper tcp/ip or udp/ip conversation it should be as easy as: Add Client > "What's that IP?" > 192.blahblah> "Let me look...oh, there it is. Is this the one I should allow? Go confirm over there. Great! Thanks. Now he's my friend."
Dan Thornton
I agree. $10 is not a lot of money, but a lot of free software has a smoother config than Synergy. Absolutely brand new user greeted with "WARNING: unrecognized client name "[i]<computer name>[/i]", check server config" So I say to myself, OK. Makes sense. This should be an easy fix... ??? Where is server config setup ? Where is Help ?
Dan Thornton
[quote="Dan Thornton"]Where is server config setup ?[/quote] There's a single button on the Synergy Basic GUI. It says "Configure Server...". I felt this was a good place to "check server config". Apparently not.
  • 3 months later...
Michael Kohne
The problem with that button is that it leads to a screen for moving things - and no clue what it is one has to do from there. I figured it out, but it's far from intuitive that I should drag the monitor icon in the upper right onto the grid, then rename it. I'd put a '+' on the empty spots in the grid around the existing clients & server. Then when the user clicks the '+', it pops up the 'name the client' dialog.
  • 3 months later...
Jacob R Tobin
I agree as well, as I just went to see about a refund after being faced with this nonsense as the very first thing after installing. With all the glories described, including an "alias" and a "screen name". <sarcasm> Right, totally intuitive what needs to be done, no need for tool tips or help files at ALLLLLL. </sarcasm>