Hello! đŸ‘‹

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

2 PCs, 2 screens each, my custom layout

David Smith
I'm posting this partly to share what I've done in case it helps someone else, as well as if anyone has a suggestion on improving it. I have two Windows PCs running Windows 10, but my config worked the same when one was Win 7 and the other Win 8.1. Here is the physical layout: [attachment=1]PhysicalLayout.png[/attachment] My config file includes the following: section: links PC1: right(43,100) = PC2(0,90) left(43,100) = PC2(0,90) PC2: left(0,90) = PC1(43,100) right(0,90) = PC1(43,100) This results in the following logical layout: [attachment=0]ProgrammaticLayout.png[/attachment] Note that while PC2 SCREEN1 is physically on the right, it is on the left as far as PC2 knows. That combined with PC2 being logically to the left AND right of PC1 (in Synergy) means that the cursor can infinitely travel left or right across the lower three screens (like a world map). So far I've found it very intuitive to navigate. Also I've learned through trial and error that my config doesn't work if PC1 SCREEN1 has a higher horizontal resolution than PC1 SCREEN2, hence the disproportionate resolutions. I would prefer a higher res for the primary display, but it is acceptable for now. I hope someone finds this useful, and if anyone has an idea to improve it or get around the resolution issue feel free to chime in.
  • 2 months later...
René Dubach
Hi Still trying to make this work - can you help me out ? [attachment=0]Screens.png[/attachment] I am unable to make a working config file ?! THANK YOU
David Smith
Possibly. As laid out in your graphic, I assume that "logically" the two vertical displays are positioned to the left of Notebook 2 and it's display. Within Synergy the mouse would travel left from the left vertical screen and appear on the right of Notebook 1 or it's display. The following Synergy config would work: section: links PC1: right(0,100) = PC2(0,100) left(0,100) = PC2(0,100) PC2: left(0,100) = PC1(0,100) right(0,100) = PC1(0,100) The problem lies in each laptop and the screen above it have to run at the same horizontal resolution. It doesn't matter how many screens a computer has. Synergy treats it as one screen and the corners need to meet "logically" in order for mouse movement to travel as intended. The upper displays and laptops must be at the same resolution. Not ideal, but as far as I can tell this is the only way as laid out. If repositioning is a possibility, it is possible to retain the native resolutions of all displays. I would suggest the following logical layout: [attachment=0]Rene.PNG[/attachment] Note how the top corners of the laptops meet the displays above. This is necessary for them to be treated as one contiguous desktop. In this layout infinite left-right mouse movement is still possible between the upper displays but not the laptops. Good luck.
René Dubach
[attachment=0]Rene.PNG[/attachment] Thats how it looks like... And it works out like This (Close to perfect because of resolution - but well enough): [code]section: screens Dui: T-PC: end section: aliases Dui: 192.168.178.28 T-PC: 192.168.178.25 end section: links Dui: right(0,100) = T-PC(0,100) left(0,100) = T-PC(0,100) T-PC: left(0,100) = Dui(0,100) right(0,100) = Dui(0,100) end[/code] THANK YOU Edited by Guest
David Smith
I think so. The only problem is the unmatched horizontal resolutions. You should still be able to mouse between the right upper display and the left most vertical display. You may want to play around with the (0,100) values though to see what works best for you. If it still doesn't work, it might have something to do with which is your primary display. Try change primary to the upper display and see if the behavior changes. Just guessing here.
David Smith
They refer to a range of percentages of screen for when you have two different size screens next to each other. In my layout, I use the following: section: links PC1: right(43,100) = PC2(0,90) left(43,100) = PC2(0,90) PC2: left(0,90) = PC1(43,100) right(0,90) = PC1(43,100) For PC1 I do not want the mouse to travel off the left or right of the upper display since it is physically above the other three. The (43,100) range allows me to exclude it. The (0,90) range for PC2 is due to the fact that postioned vertically those displays are taller than the bottom display of PC1. This allows the mouse movement to visually make sense.
  • 1 year later...