Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy sharing wrong keyboard & mouse

Matthew Powell

Matthew Powell

I have been using Synergy 2.x to share a wireless keyboard and mouse between a Windows 10 and an Ubuntu laptop ever since it was released.  I have had minimal issues with it up until now.  Recently, my very ancient Ubuntu laptop finally gave up the ghost and had to be replaced.  I installed Synergy on a new laptop (also running Ubuntu), but I cannot get it working.  No matter what I try, it seems to want to share the Ubuntu laptop's touchpad and keyboard instead of the Windows laptop's wireless keyboard and mouse.  I have tried every combination I can think of for stopping/starting services, rebooting the laptops, and removing/adding the laptops in Synergy in different orders.  The result always seems to be the same.  How do I get Synergy to recognize which laptop's keyboard and mouse I want it to share?  There does not appear to be any settings options that I can find.

Matthew Powell

After playing with this some more, I realized that the issue is not that the Windows 10 laptop is not sharing its mouse.  The issue is that the mouse is only able to control the very edge of the screen.  That's enough to allow me to move the scrollbar up and down, but if the cursor moves any further to the left of the scroll bar, the focus flips back to the other laptop.

Matthew Powell

I just updated the Ubuntu laptop to the latest LTS release.  Afterwards, I had to reconfigure the display settings to get it to output the display to my external monitor.  Once that was done, Synergy appears to be working as expected once again.  I think there was some issue going on with the resolution settings between the laptop and the external monitor that was confusing Synergy.