Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Configure Synergy client SSL on command line

Hi,

I'm struggling to figure out how to connect Synergy from command line to server.

My setup: I have installed Synergy on Ubuntu 18.04 server and client on another Ubuntu computer which is working perfectly fine. Now I want to configure additional computer running Windows 10 on which I unfortunately cannot install apps. So I extracted cab1.cab file from installation package and run Synergy Client from command line. After setting some command line parameters, I can successfully connect to the server but the client refuses to connect due to the "failed to verify server certificate fingerprint". I tried to add the server fingerprint to "~/.synergy/SSL/Fingerprints/TrustedServers.txt" but without any success.

Thanks for any advice.

Kelvin Tran
15 hours ago, mousekrup said:

Hi,

I'm struggling to figure out how to connect Synergy from command line to server.

My setup: I have installed Synergy on Ubuntu 18.04 server and client on another Ubuntu computer which is working perfectly fine. Now I want to configure additional computer running Windows 10 on which I unfortunately cannot install apps. So I extracted cab1.cab file from installation package and run Synergy Client from command line. After setting some command line parameters, I can successfully connect to the server but the client refuses to connect due to the "failed to verify server certificate fingerprint". I tried to add the server fingerprint to "~/.synergy/SSL/Fingerprints/TrustedServers.txt" but without any success.

Thanks for any advice.

Are you trying to compile the Synergy core? If not, this really isn't the intended use case for Synergy. It will work, and I'm happy to try to help you through it to the best of my ability, but keep in mind that Symless isn't officially supporting this use case.

In terms of the failure to verify the Synergy SSL certificate, have you tried regenerating it from the client side? This can be done by turning off and on TLS/SSL support. 

Lastly, have you added the other's SSL fingerprint to each system? Ex. add B's fingerprint to A and vice versa. This might help in establishing a trust relationship between the two systems.

I'm not compiling anything. On the server side, it logs

[2019-01-29T14:08:12] INFO: accepted secure socket
[2019-01-29T14:08:12] INFO: network encryption protocol: TLSv1.2
[2019-01-29T14:08:12] NOTE: accepted client connection

and on the client side

[2019-01-29T14:09:20] NOTE: connecting to '192.168.1.140': 192.168.1.140:24800
[2019-01-29T14:09:20] NOTE: server fingerprint: xx:xx:...
[2019-01-29T14:09:20] ERROR: failed to verify server certificate fingerprint

I'm not sure, how to verify the server certificate...

I have successfully converted Synergy 1.10.1 installs with SSL to a portable version. I posted it here on the forums a few months ago.

To get around the issue you're having, place it in ".\Synergy\SSL\Fingerprints\TrustedServers.txt".

The easiest way to get this done is to install it on a Windows computer temporarily and connect it to your existing server, then run my script from here.

• Like 1
On 2/6/2019 at 12:59 AM, Shawn Hall said:

I have successfully converted Synergy 1.10.1 installs with SSL to a portable version. I posted it here on the forums a few months ago.

To get around the issue you're having, place it in ".\Synergy\SSL\Fingerprints\TrustedServers.txt".

The easiest way to get this done is to install it on a Windows computer temporarily and connect it to your existing server, then run my script from here.

Many thanks for the guide. It works and is really easy to run. Great! :)

Edited by mousekrup