Kelvin Tran

Synergy Development Status

26 posts in this topic

Well I am glad that S2 is getting a major overhaul to be as reliable as S1 was. I wanted to use S2, but had to revert back to S1 for my work needs, and with macOS Mojave, S1 will soon no longer function it reports. So cannot wait for S3 to come fast enough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ll be supporting Synergy 1 for the next 2 years until the next major version is ready (we’ll most likely call the next version Synergy 3).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

We’ll be supporting Synergy 1 for the next 2 years until the next major version is ready (we’ll most likely call the next version Synergy 3).

Why not Synergy X? Seems like every company's calling their "revolution product" "<product> X"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/01/2019 at 3:39 AM, Kelvin Tran said:

Why not Synergy X? Seems like every company's calling their "revolution product" "<product> X"

To be relevant in today's climate, the next version should be called just "Synergy", the next version should be "Synergy V", followed by "Synergy One".

Back on-topic, I'm glad Synergy is having a path forward as it is a very important application for more than a few users. I'm looking forward to having more info being released regularly as well !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,
In the original post, i noticed a small yet game-changing (for me, at least) detail:

On 1/26/2019 at 7:31 PM, Kelvin Tran said:

"Hey, S2 beta is no longer in development. We’re skipping that version and going to the next one (we’ll probably call it S3). Your beta early access account will allow you access to future betas."

Does this mean betas and only betas? Because i bought not because of the beta access, but because i expected to get the full product once it's released (Synergy 2). It was even advertised that way. So in this case, if we are only getting access to unstable-and-buggy-betas (no shame in having bugs in beta, it is just natural that bugs / instability occurs in test phases and it's totally fine. However, i would not like to be forced to either use the unstable version forever or go back to S1 (or be in a situation where i have to pay for beta and then pay again for the full Synergy 3 release. It doesn't make sense.)), then i would probably refund the purchase, to be honest, and think about purchasing Synergy 3 when it shows up. @Kelvin Tran

Regards,
Tomas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 1/27/2019 at 1:31 AM, Kelvin Tran said:

 

"Hey, S2 beta is no longer in development. We’re skipping that version and going to the next one (we’ll probably call it S3). Your beta early access account will allow you access to future betas. Let me know if you need a refund."

Synergy 2 development will most likely be discontinued in favor of a new version that gets the balance of a streamlined interface right, offers more advanced configuration for our tech junkies in the community, and offers a wide selection of features, including most of those available in Synergy 1 (if not all of them).

If you have paid the beta access price, as stated above, you will have access to what seems at this time all of the future betas. If you have any concerns, please make a forum post about it in General Discussion or use the support link on the website. 

If you require or desire a refund for your beta purchase or any other purchase, please use the support link or email [email protected] Details on the Synergy refund process can be found here: 

It's a bit confusing to be honest. Before S2 went back from Stable to Beta, I bought it as Synergy 2 Pro. Now that S2 is going to be discontinued, and there's not a single mention about how is it same or different from the one who bought "S2 beta access" and the one who bought "S2 basic or pro", I don't even know where that leave me hanging. Am I getting the S3 or I need to pay for another copy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 11:01 AM, Tomas said:

Hello,
In the original post, i noticed a small yet game-changing (for me, at least) detail:

Does this mean betas and only betas? Because i bought not because of the beta access, but because i expected to get the full product once it's released (Synergy 2). It was even advertised that way. So in this case, if we are only getting access to unstable-and-buggy-betas (no shame in having bugs in beta, it is just natural that bugs / instability occurs in test phases and it's totally fine. However, i would not like to be forced to either use the unstable version forever or go back to S1 (or be in a situation where i have to pay for beta and then pay again for the full Synergy 3 release. It doesn't make sense.)), then i would probably refund the purchase, to be honest, and think about purchasing Synergy 3 when it shows up. @Kelvin Tran

Regards,
Tomas

You'll get the full version alongside the beta access.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, anazhd said:

 

It's a bit confusing to be honest. Before S2 went back from Stable to Beta, I bought it as Synergy 2 Pro. Now that S2 is going to be discontinued, and there's not a single mention about how is it same or different from the one who bought "S2 beta access" and the one who bought "S2 basic or pro", I don't even know where that leave me hanging. Am I getting the S3 or I need to pay for another copy. 

You're getting S3 if you've already paid for S2 beta. The beta program applies to all future Synergy betas, not just S2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing as no more updates have come for Synergy 1, I came to the forums to see why that was. I already paid once, so will I be getting Synergy 3 when it comes out? Going to be really annoyed if the money I spent was a deadend...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, darthclide said:

Seeing as no more updates have come for Synergy 1, I came to the forums to see why that was. I already paid once, so will I be getting Synergy 3 when it comes out? Going to be really annoyed if the money I spent was a deadend...

Updates for S1 will be coming in the next few months as the Symless development team continues to solidify and stabilize.

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, the license that you paid for with Synergy 1 does not transfer over to Synergy 3. You can get a refund for the product as the S3 release date comes closer (won't be for another year or two) and then just spend that money on an S3 license. :) 

For more information regarding the Synergy refund process, refer to this forum post I posted: 

 

Let me know if you have any more questions! @darthclide

Edited by Kelvin Tran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess development has slowed to a crawl then? Because I was considering a refund, and then getting Synergy 2 (I think personally that if you have Synergy 1, you should be allowed a trial of Synergy 2 for a week). But from multiple posts I see that there are more bugs in that than 1. I guess I am stuck with my problems in the meanwhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, darthclide said:

I guess development has slowed to a crawl then? Because I was considering a refund, and then getting Synergy 2 (I think personally that if you have Synergy 1, you should be allowed a trial of Synergy 2 for a week). But from multiple posts I see that there are more bugs in that than 1. I guess I am stuck with my problems in the meanwhile.

"I guess development has slowed to a crawl then?" - Yeah, unfortunately, you could very easily put it like that. For a little while, anyways. We're sorry for that.

For some people, including me, S2 has been more of a problem than S1. It depends on the environment for which one works better. I'm sorry to say that we don't offer a trial for S2, but you can always make a forum post regarding your issues and I'm sure someone here would be glad to help you, whether it be me or any other member of the community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, darthclide said:

I guess development has slowed to a crawl then? Because I was considering a refund, and then getting Synergy 2 (I think personally that if you have Synergy 1, you should be allowed a trial of Synergy 2 for a week). But from multiple posts I see that there are more bugs in that than 1. I guess I am stuck with my problems in the meanwhile.

They did announce some internal changes few months ago and if I remember correctly, end 2018/early 2019 is when they're starting to re-do this all over again with new team. So development has been nothing but organization redevelop until then. Then is now. I've been using S2 even since, and it's better than S1 for some reason. Couldn't wait for what's next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the real question -- given that S2 is abandoned, is it recommended that we revert back to S1?  With S2 abandoned, should people still be able to buy into it as a beta?

I ask this because another thread pointed out some security flaws and right now I'm not sure if they were patched before S2 was abandoned.

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My synergy 2 beta just went down this past week and wont work no matter what i do with reinstalling or resetting the computer.... after reading this thread i was wondering if S2 is still functioning or if it was taken down? or are the servers temporarily down? This software has helped me a lot in my line of work and its frustrating not to have it active. Let me know, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jonathan S. said:

My synergy 2 beta just went down this past week and wont work no matter what i do with reinstalling or resetting the computer.... after reading this thread i was wondering if S2 is still functioning or if it was taken down? or are the servers temporarily down? This software has helped me a lot in my line of work and its frustrating not to have it active. Let me know, thanks!

Mine is still working now.  Sometimes I need to restart the synergy service on one or both machines I have connected to get it to reconnect.  I also have issues when the network changes (going from a dock with ethernet to wireless).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2019 at 2:46 AM, anazhd said:

I've been using S2 even since, and it's better than S1 for some reason.

I guess it's just different environmental factors then.

Hopefully, S3'll work more universally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2019 at 7:59 AM, Azeroth2b said:

Here's the real question -- given that S2 is abandoned, is it recommended that we revert back to S1?  With S2 abandoned, should people still be able to buy into it as a beta?

I ask this because another thread pointed out some security flaws and right now I'm not sure if they were patched before S2 was abandoned.

 

We've recommended that you revert back to S1 for production environments for quite a while now, not for security concerns but rather because the S1 codebase is much more mature and stable than the S2 codebase and for serious applications, as you might be aware, you may not have time to fiddle around with Synergy.

When you buy the "beta" of Synergy, you are buying into all future beta versions as well as (don't quote me on this) potentially all future stable releases as well. I expect this payment model will not work in the long-term, but I presume the "all beta versions of the future" model of the beta product will stick for quite a while. That's why the beta product is still available for sale - not with S2 in mind, but future betas. Also, though S2 is not abandoned quite yet (again, as far as I'm aware), the intention of my OP was to highlight to the community that if not yet, that this change and ripple to the current product structure is coming and to brace for it.

These security vulnerabilities, as confirmed by the Synergy team (as they are our most reliable source of information as the developers of the codebase), are, for lack of a better way to say it, nothing to worry about. S2 only uses the public internet (more specifically, AWS) to establish connections between machines by communicating local IPs. You can't really do much with local IPs outside of the network unless you find a way to hack NAT (and if someone does that, you have much more of a problem than Synergy). Beyond that, all local communications are encrypted using SSL/TLS. 

If you are worried about security, however, and you are concerned about the homing to the Synergy cloud (read: AWS), then you are free to switch to S1. Remember, we recommend that anyways because of the more mature codebase. There are expected to be at least 1 or more minor "dot revision" updates coming to Synergy 1 before it is overshadowed by the release of S3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jonathan S. said:

My synergy 2 beta just went down this past week and wont work no matter what i do with reinstalling or resetting the computer.... after reading this thread i was wondering if S2 is still functioning or if it was taken down? or are the servers temporarily down? This software has helped me a lot in my line of work and its frustrating not to have it active. Let me know, thanks!

It shouldn't have been taken down. Start a support thread and we'll help you investigate.

In the meantime, however, have you considered switching to S1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, schobes said:

Mine is still working now.  Sometimes I need to restart the synergy service on one or both machines I have connected to get it to reconnect.  I also have issues when the network changes (going from a dock with ethernet to wireless).

Synergy 2 (and sometimes S1 for that matter) likes to cling to a network interface because it's already established UDP connections over that NIC. Restarting the service should help.

Restarting the Synergy service for most intents/purposes works fairly well, again, most of the time. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2019 at 2:56 AM, Kelvin Tran said:

Synergy 2 (and sometimes S1 for that matter) likes to cling to a network interface because it's already established UDP connections over that NIC. Restarting the service should help.

Restarting the Synergy service for most intents/purposes works fairly well, again, most of the time. :) 

I assume s1 still has no means of dynamically switching from server to client and such?  I go back and forth a lot between multiple pc's with multiple peripherals and synergy 2 has been a godsend for the most part.

Then microsoft pushed 1903.   Now its broken (at least with using multiple displays on 1 pc)  It tries to switch half way through the 2nd display to the next pc, and ends up hanging up somewhere in cyberspace ><

i immediately made an image prior to windows finishing the update, and was able to roll back thank god, but we all know how that goes.  Can only stave off microsoft's update for so long.

So im hoping we can either get a fix pushed for S2, S1 has gained functionality since way back when to make it similar to S2, or I can find another solution until the next iteration comes to pass. 

Edited by klepp0906

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any prevision for beta to Synergy 3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would be nice.  im now using MWB in the interim.  It works fine w/ 1903 and doesnt have the wild crazy/fast mouse issue in games on other pc's that synergy has had since the beginning of time.

the caveats are copy and paste and drag and drop - while working, do so by creating a folder on your desktop.   No way around it.  The other being more minor, it has to be running in the tray, at least at current.

All in all, it performs very very well, and while the drag/drop files (100mb limit) creating a MWB folder on the desktop is an unsightly inconvenience, to be fair, it more or less didnt work in synergy at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I paid for Synergy 2 license, since S2 was in beta and will never get a full release, will I be able to get S3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.