Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Ubuntu 18.04 <-> Windows 10 w/ external monitors each

UnixOutlaw

My setup :

Server: Dell Latitude E7250 : Ubuntu 18.04.1 Synergy 1.10.1-stable (left), external (displayport) 1080p monitor

Client : Dell Latitude E7250 : Windows 10 (build something or other) Synergy 1.10.1-stable (right), external (displayport) 1080p monitor

I can only "traverse" to the Client machine from the Server's built in monitor (i.e. I can't move RIGHT from the server's external monitor).  e.g. if my cursor is on the external monitor of the Windows machine (i.e. the client on "left) - I can point it across directly to the external monitor of the Linux machine (i.e. from "right" client to "left" server) - but the only way back again is to point/drag the cursor down to the internal monitor of the Linux server machine, then right across to the Windows client machine.

I've logged a support ticket with Symless about this issue, they offered me a refund, but I don't want a refund - I just want it to work like it should (never seen this happen on Linux <-> Linux server/clients).

I don't really want to swap roles around (frankly a PITA to swap external keyboard and bluetooth mouse around!).

I've tried rolling back to previous versions of Synergy 1.x (e.g. 1.8) .  I've tried beta of Synergy 2.x.  Exact same symptoms...

I don't really know how to "describe" this issue and search for it here.  Hoping someone can help or have a suggestion.  I'd rather tweak stuff in the GUI as I paid for "pro" license, as opposed to tweaking config files (but I have done this in the past - e.g. from before I subscribed to a pro license).  I've seen the "corner" size value in "screen name" configuration for the server screen, but the max value there is 99 and it doesn't seem to make any difference anyway.

synergy-issue.svg.png

Edited by UnixOutlaw
used left instead of right
UnixOutlaw
8 minutes ago, UnixOutlaw said:

I can only "traverse" to the Client machine from the Server's built in monitor (i.e. I can't move RIGHT from the server's external monitor).  e.g. if my cursor is on the external monitor of the Windows machine (i.e. the client on "left) - I can point it across directly to the external monitor of the Linux machine (i.e. from "right" client to "left" server) - but the only way back again is to point/drag the cursor down to the internal monitor of the Linux server machine, then right across to the Windows client machine.

Should read :

I can only "traverse" to the Client machine from the Server's built in monitor (i.e. I can't move RIGHT from the server's external monitor).  e.g. if my cursor is on the external monitor of the Windows machine (i.e. the client on "RIGHT") - I can point it across directly to the external monitor of the Linux machine (i.e. from "RIGHT" client to "LEFT" server) - but the only way back again is to point/drag the cursor down to the internal monitor of the Linux server machine, then RIGHT across to the Windows client machine.

(no longer allowed to edit original post)

UnixOutlaw
On 03/01/2019 at 6:32 AM, Daniel Alarcon said:

Hello @UnixOutlaw will it make it easy to switch using HotKey instead of "traveling" the mouse?

I'd really rather not - it become onerous when I "accidentally" nudge/travel the cursor from the RIGHT (client) external monitor to the LEFT (server) external monitor, I have to either anti-clockwise travel the cursor to get back to where I was on the client screen, or take my hand off the mouse to hit a "HotKey" and it doesn't take me back to where I left the RIGHT (client) external monitor anyway...

Taking the Left (Server) ubuntu machine home tonight - going to rebuild it using elementary OS instead of Ubuntu...  and probably use BOTH external monitors on the Linux machine...

UnixOutlaw

Exact same symptoms with elementary "Juno" on Linux laptop (left).

I unplugged the Displayport from the Windows 10 laptop and re-hooked it up to the docking station of the Linux "box" (left) - slightly different results now - still not working how I'd like it - basically when I run Synergy with all Linux - I can go to "left" computer from ANY screen on the right: 

Anyway - been trying elementary last 2 days - too many niggling things wrong (i.e. not just Synergy) - going to try xubuntu next...

(on the diagram - replace "Ubuntu 18.04.1" with "elementary OS 5.0 Juno")

syn002.png