Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

DPMS handling needs fixing

I've been using Synergy 2 from the moment it entered beta and became generally available to existing customers, mostly it has worked flawlessly on my all-Linux setup* (I do also have a macbook but it's only used rarely used and hasn't been updated from Synergy 1). However there is on issues that really do need to be addressed.

Unlike Synergy 1, Synergy 2 permanently disables DPMS while it is running and even when you shutdown the server, it doesn't always re-enable DPMS properly. Synergy should NOT disable screensavers and DPMS if all machines are idle, it's reasonable that it should temporarily suspend the screensavers/dpms while input is being received on any of the clients but I don't expect to step away from my desk for hours and find screens still awake when I come back. Linux provides tools (DBUS endpoints etc) to block DPMS from the application without completely disabling it.

Related to this, while you can enable/disable Synergy per client from the systray, I really think this should be offered from the client window as well. A simple big 'enable/disable' button or toggle. Every application and process seems to have it's own systray icon these days and hunting out the Synergy one is a pain. Like most users of Synergy I suspect, at least one of my clients is a Laptop and making it even easier to disable Synergy when I take my laptop with me to meetings elsewhere in the building would be really appreciated.

Bonus points if Enable/Disable option was available per-client and could be toggled from any client. e.g. When I get back to my desk with my laptop, being able to re-enabled input sharing for the laptop from my desktop would be convenient. Conceptually, on the UI this could be a toggle below each client name.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

I totally agree, we desperately need to fix the screensaver sync, not just for Linux though.

• 3 weeks later...
Dominic Cerisano

Synergy should leave dpms disabled and configure all screen sleeping/waking in the server, which already knows how long screens have been idle.
It could also manage all screensavers similarly. It needs to own those functions.

Edited by Dominic Cerisano
Dominic Cerisano

On Linux at least, all client xscreensavers seem to be managed by the Synergy server.
The Synergy server broadcasts xscreensaver activations to all clients simultaneously  when its own is activated - a nice effect with many screens.  
The server also deactivates all client xscreensavers simultaneously on first key/mouse event, also nice effect.

Entering any client causes dpms to be forced off. I think it should be forced back on when the xscreensaver activation is received from the server.
On receiving an xscreensaver deactivation from the server, the client could force dpms off again (not really necessary I think, given the above behaviour).

Edited by Dominic Cerisano