Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

"Windows Server-Linux Client" doesn't work, but reverse does?

Broken_Gambler

I wasn't even sure how to title this article. Its also made it impossible for me to properly search for this, just incase its been asked and answered before. I'm currently running Windows 10 64-bit, as my server and Linux Mate 19 (Tara) as the client. They fail to communicate.

My Windows, shows 5 different IPs listed (not sure why, my PC only has a Dual-band WiFi and a single LAN and Bluetooth), and I've manually swapped it, and tried autoconfig, and it still doesn't pickup the client.

My Linux Mate, which is receiving internet by LAN through my Windows PC by Internet Sharing, has only 1 IP (strange considering it has multiple LAN ports).

If I reverse the client, server settings, so that my Linux PC is the main, they communicate perfectly. I'm hoping to leave Windows as my main PC for now, but more importantly I need to be able to change this back and forth in the future to suit my needs, so understanding the problem and how to fix this is kind of important to me.

I'm running Synergy 1 on both systems

Synergy 1.10 stable on Windows

Synergy 1.8.8 Debian stable on LInux

Edited by Broken_Gambler
Added info

Do you have any virtualization software (VMware, etc.) installed on your Windows box? How about VPN software? Either of those _could_ explain the multiple IPs. Just a thought.

Have you checked for Windows firewall settings? If Synergy isn't granted the permission to accept incoming connections, that would do it. The install process should have handled that, but...

Edited by Davewill
Broken_Gambler

Not running any virtualisation software. And I don't use a VPN.

I disabled my firewall while setting up my connection to ensure that it couldn't interfere. Generally, I've found that the windows firewall never had any issue with Synergy. My Vipre firewall on the other hand hates anything trying to connect to my system. It even denied my Steamlink, but that's another story and different issue.