Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy webcam sharing

Sharing the webcam from my laptop to my desktop computer would be a nice feature.

For example; I use my laptop in front of my desktop computer and use the keyboard and mouse from the laptop, to control the desktop PC.

If I want to use Skype on my desktop computer, it would be nice if I could use the webcam from my laptop on there too.

Kind regards,

Hugo

Kelvin Tran
On 8/12/2018 at 9:32 AM, Hugo Cox said:

Sharing the webcam from my laptop to my desktop computer would be a nice feature.

For example; I use my laptop in front of my desktop computer and use the keyboard and mouse from the laptop, to control the desktop PC.

If I want to use Skype on my desktop computer, it would be nice if I could use the webcam from my laptop on there too.

Kind regards,

Hugo

Not a bad idea.

However, it would require many man-hours of development due to the fact that with input devices that deal with video and audio input, it isn't as simple as "let's just emulate the device using a virtual device on the other computer!". That would present hell with latency with a webcam. Instead, what would have to be done instead is for the webcam to be connected using a virtual bus to the system in order to detect it as an external device.

This presents a slight challenge in that connecting a device using a virtual bus to another system is different from emulation in that you are not replicating the device with a virtual device driver, but you could still run into issues with latency. Imagine what would happen with video if some people even have issues getting mousing around to work as seamlessly as we would like. It may come, but don't plan on it being in the immediate future. That being said, it isn't a bad idea at all.

There are other alternatives to what you're asking for. One of them might be to purchase an inexpensive external webcam to connect to your desktop from providers such as Logitech. These can work very well and with very low latency, given that they're working over the (relatively) very-high speed USB bus.