Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Are you using Synergy 2?

Neuntausend nailed it.  Interesting product -- I still use v.1, with some success -- but you guys really dropped the ball on v. 2.  With no apparent rush to amend things.

Well, off to the beach!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using 2.0.12 for awhile.  Sharing between Windows 10 and Ubuntu.  It's a little quirky, but for the most part works.  I just wish there was some way to get it to work for the login screen.  I understand that 1 will do that, but it takes some serious config?  Either way, I hope 2 gets there, I'm liking it when it works, which is most of the time. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using 2 since nearly its initial launch. I see a few issues, but they are more or less the same as the issues I saw with V1, namely:

--copy/paste text requires that I copy...wait a few moments...move mouse to the destination computer...wait a few moments...then paste. Not always, but a good percentage of the time. If it fails one time, I have to restart the Synergy service (the server service). It never recovers otherwise. So, I keep the Windows service panel open all the time with "synergy" selected...and the Synergy window open (restart service requires me hit the "retry" button on Synergy as well). This was always in V1, so is not enough incentive to go back to it.

--initial log in to Ubuntu requires I do it from Ubuntu and that I restart the Synergy service...not terrible since i only bounce it weekly.

--If I move the mouse between computers to fast, it gets "confused" and blocks movement from the server. In this case I have to hit <ctrl> a bunch of times for it to "reset". I can even see how the client boxes images in the Synergy interface blink from gray to colored and back again several times as I hit <ctrl> until it stabilizes (solid color). I've gotten into the habit of hitting <ctrl> all the time now... :/

My Synergy server is Win 10 (center). Left side is Win 10. Right side is Ubuntu.

I have been using 2 for a while now (ever since it came out?), before it was declared beta. I am only sharing between two Macs, so no issues with cross-operating systems. I kind of like it, and have been too lazy I guess to downgrade to 1. I am however a bit disappointed that 2 appears to have moved down from "beta" to "abandoned". I would have expected continuing incremental updates.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Mike Van Pelt

I've been using Synergy for ages... over 10 years. 

I'd been using 2 since it came out.  Every now and then, it wouldn't connect.  Usually, killing the synergy processes on Linux (server) would bring it back.  Sometimes I had to reboot the PC (client).   Sometimes, both.

Even though I vastly prefer the 1.x manual config, since it mostly "just worked", I hadn't bothered going back to 1.x until today... Another "have to boot the server to get it back", and I had to reboot for a system update anyway, and just added "back to 1.x" to the process.

I think I'll stick with 1.x until 2.x has a manual config option with no need for Internet entanglements.

• 3 weeks later...

I switch back to 1.x last year.

2.x auto config is too unstable and cannot be turn off. VPN or additional IP frequently break synergy connection.

Also the requirement to have constant internet connection is just bad. I work from home and broadband can drop from time to time and that kill synergy connection too. I am using between two local computers in the same IP subnet, why the hell it need internet to stay working?

Auto config is a good feature and may even be a requirement once everything is IPv6, but it need a lot of fine tuning, like a drop down menu to choose which subnet/ip/hostname to use, and don't make internet a requirement.

Kelvin Tran
27 minutes ago, JSD said:

I switch back to 1.x last year.

2.x auto config is too unstable and cannot be turn off. VPN or additional IP frequently break synergy connection.

Also the requirement to have constant internet connection is just bad. I work from home and broadband can drop from time to time and that kill synergy connection too. I am using between two local computers in the same IP subnet, why the hell it need internet to stay working?

Auto config is a good feature and may even be a requirement once everything is IPv6, but it need a lot of fine tuning, like a drop down menu to choose which subnet/ip/hostname to use, and don't make internet a requirement.

I tend to agree with your last point. However, I think that auto config without a "homing signal" to Synergy servers would be possible even with IPv6 if you take advantage of broadcast packets.

7 minutes ago, Kelvin Tran said:

I tend to agree with your last point. However, I think that auto config without a "homing signal" to Synergy servers would be possible even with IPv6 if you take advantage of broadcast packets.

Yes. IPv6 by default has link local IPs. There are multicast and zeroconf for auto config solution. No internet is required.

• Nick Bolton featured and unpinned this topic