Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Mouse becomes extremely sensitive in a game.

Will Marler
Hey forum & Synergy team, I'm using Synergy to share mouse & keyboard from a Linux host to a virtual machine. The virtual machine is running Windows 7, and using VGA passthrough. Everything works great when navigating Windows; opening dialogue boxes, etc. However, when I start a game (so far only tested with Skyrim), the mouse sensitivity goes through the roof. The smallest movement of my hand that I can use to generate pointer movement causes the pointer to move roughly 1cm (on a 24" 1920x1080p native monitor). Is there a way I can capture useful debug data? Or perhaps this is a known issue (although I searched the forums and didn't see anything similar) and there's a known workaround? Thanks in advance, Will
Delos Wilbur
Hi Will, When you say super sensitive, does it wildly move around almost randomly or just "over-exaggerate" the movement intended? If the former that has been long standing problem with Synergy within games, does the same thing in World of Warcraft. Some people have had luck with changing the "Use Relative Mouse moves" setting under Advanced Server Settings tab in Server Configuration. To be honest I was never able to resolve it and ended up using a different piece of software back then. :-( sorry I don't have better advice DW
Will Marler
Hey DW, thanks for the post. It's an "Over-exaggerate" behavior for sure. I can certainly control where the mouse goes, but it's tricky. When the mouse is active in the guest, a movement of the physical mouse that would move the cursor one or two pixels on the host machine moves the cursor 40 or 50 pixels (I'm guessing -- it's a lot) in the guest. So for example, while I can get the mouse *close* to a button that needs to be clicked in the game, sometimes I can't actually get it over the button. It'll be slightly right, and if I go ever so slightly to the left, the cursor will jump over the button to be clicked. Le argh! No change with "Use Relative Mouse Moves". Ah well. I'll make do with passing a USB mouse through to the guest and just use Synergy for the keyboard. Do devs read these forums? I'd be happy to collect log /debug data, if such data can be recovered ...
Will Marler
I was able to make it useable in the following way: Move the cursor into the VM. Pin the cursor to the VM (scroll lock) Open up the mouse properties in the VM, and under Pointer Options tab set the pointer speed to veeeeeery sloooooow. The mouse is hardly usable in this state normally, but when the game launched, things were ok. Caveat: it seems that if the mouse leaves the VM and comes back, the mouse settings are lost. But I didn't test very thoroughly.
  • 1 month later...
Jesus Moreno
[quote="Will Marler"]I was able to make it useable in the following way: Move the cursor into the VM. Pin the cursor to the VM (scroll lock) Open up the mouse properties in the VM, and under Pointer Options tab set the pointer speed to veeeeeery sloooooow. The mouse is hardly usable in this state normally, but when the game launched, things were ok. Caveat: it seems that if the mouse leaves the VM and comes back, the mouse settings are lost. But I didn't test very thoroughly.[/quote] Hello Will, did you ever get an answer about this issue from one of the devs or support?, I am having the same issue that when I move the mouse within a guest VM the mouse is over-sensitive and can barely use it. This only seems to happen with VMWARE Products though - VMPlayer or VMWorkstation, it does not happen when I run a VM with VirtualBox.
Will Marler
Nope, no reply ever. And I'm not using either VMWare or VirtualBox -- I use KVM. I stopped trying to solve the problem; when I want to play those games, I pass the USB mouse through to the VM directly.
  • 7 months later...