Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Create a Unity3D plug-in to allow developer that want to create new kinds of keyboard

Eloi Stree

Create a Unity3D plug-in to allow developer that want to create new kinds of keyboard to work with you technology.
Specialy for virtual reality where developers want to create universal keyboard from Android.

Feel free to contact me for more information:
[email protected]

Or if you want to hire a Unity developer to work on the subject.

• 3 weeks later...
Davewill

If a VR keyboard works with the underlying operating system, I don't see why it wouldn't work with Synergy. I don't understand why anyone would want such a thing to be Synergy specific.

Eloi Stree
19 hours ago, Davewill said:

If a VR keyboard works with the underlying operating system, I don't see why it wouldn't work with Synergy. I don't understand why anyone would want such a thing to be Synergy specific.

Actually one of the main issue of virtual reality is that mouse and keyboard are missing. So every developer is running in every direction to create as they can a keyboard in their games and application (that look like traditional). We are failing to do it properly.  The keyboard of tomorrow is not born yet. Something really close to it, for example: https://www.tapwithus.com/ . To be able to find this new keyboard. We developer need to prototype it. And we need the external keybaord to work on any platform: Window, Mac, Android...  So Synergy seem to be the best solution as it is through network.  It is why if you create a Unity3D plug-in (Android) for Synergy, it opens the possibility for developer to create portable experiment of new keyboard.

Sorry it is a long story ;).

(For me it is frustrating because I see hundred of cool stuffs to create if this plug-in exist and how it could be useful to the community.
But I don't have the time to work one month for free doing this plug-in. And if I want to do my own, it will take months to do a system working as well as 20% of Synergy ;) )

Eloi Stree
19 hours ago, Davewill said:

"I don't understand why anyone would want such a thing to be Synergy specific."
Because if you create a new keyboard or macro tool (or anything in this direction).
You want it to work on every devices without installing tons of software.
And if we go by Synergy technology, It allows to do that.

We have the source code of Synergy on GitHub:
https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/releases

But the blocking part is that creative are not core programmer. So we can't extract the code and say "Voilà !".
It is why every companies in the last years are doing Unity3D plug-in of their product.
To give creative programmer the possibility to play with it.
And so to make the product live also by the community.

NLferdiNL

I'll be honest, as a Unity Developer myself I can't see any purpose in making this with Synergy. It is not too difficult to make a virtual keyboard and have it send all input to a PC without Synergy involved.

Eloi Stree

"Why would I need a car when I can use a horse..."
I will stop arguing. And continue my way.

If someone want to take the time to understand why it is useful and experiment on the concept.
Feel free to contact me: [email protected] 

(Topic close I suppose)

Davewill

Dude,

it's not our fault if you can't express your idea. Fine, you create a VR keyboard with Unity. What computer is it running on, and what computer would you want to control? The same one? Multiple computers at the same time? If so, wouldn't you need to bring their displays into your VR environment in addition to sending the user input there? In that case, I'd think something like VNC would be more appropriate. If that's not it, then you still haven't explained why having the VR keyboard working with the local OS, then using Synergy to remote ALL input devices including the VR keyboard wouldn't be the way to go. Waving your virtual hands and saying that nobody understands your idea doesn't fly.

Eloi Stree

--------------------- Thank , Half Solution found ------------------------
Thank for the Rubber Duck Debugging :D

Now that I explained you the idea. 
I realize that if I send fake input from Unity on a cheap small tablet window (<300€).
Synergy will received fake input and then send it to the focused computer.

I just need to do a Unity Plug-in that simulate fake keyboard pressing and moving the mouse.
And that is easy to do.

It is the same for my VR experiment. Just need to make the Arduino app send fake input to a cheap portable window.

(Now I have the problem that as soon as I will click on the macro, the mouse will move from the PC I want to write on to the server PC the app is on... -_-
Need to think on that one. Do you have a idea ?)

------------ What I am trying to do ------------

Forget about VR. To complicated to explain until I make a small prototype of it. On the "To Do list"
Or we need a skype conversation to talk about it.

Let's take the example of a macro tools.
You take an small portable computer + Bluetooth (Keyboard + Mouse) that you use as server for controlling your local computers.
As programmer, you will need to write all time some code lines. You just click on an icon of your phone. And it write it on the PC that is focused.
Or if you need to do repetitive tasks on each PC. You target the PC with your mouse and click on the macro that send key instructions to it.
One of the best example of macro tools for me was the software of the Nostromo/Synapse:

It would be like having your macros and snippets for every computer you control with Synergy :) without installing anything.
It would be amazing !

---------------------------- Rage Quit Explained ----------------
Sorry for the rage quit. But internet is a strange place.  I expected people to speak of the idea.
And I received : "That stupid, why would you do that ! Look I know a better way to resolve your problem I did not took the time to understand".
Instead of receiving: "What do you have in mind?" or "Could you explained in a better way" like you did.

Davewill

Ok, now I get it better. Send your fake keystrokes to the underlying OS directly rather than to the window, so that you look like any other input device. Also, there's already at least one keyboard macro solution that works with Synergy on Windows, I believe. You might not need to write ANY code at all for this.

• Like 1