Hello! đź‘‹

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

WIN10 : Scroll lock status biased ?

Hey everyone, I found something, not sure if I really understand the behaviour :

Setup is :

• "Server" Windows 10 1803 (17134.112)
  • "Client" up to date Debian 9

Client shouldn't be in cause anyway.

Description :

I stopped/started the Synergy service on windows several times the last 2 weeks, today I restarted it and couldn't move my cursor to debian client.
I directly suspected Scroll Lock to be at fault, therefore, I checked its status (using Micro$oft Ex$ell) and Scroll Lock was turned off.

I am someone really stubborn and still tried to toggle lock screen, it indeed turned ON but I managed to switch to the debian screen.

I ran some test and it seems that Synergy remembers the switch lock status and that Scroll Lock key just triggers a toggle event.

Steps to reproduce :

1. Have synergy 2 beta started on a windows computer
  2. Have the capability to switch from main screen to another
  3. Have the scroll lock status set to "OFF"
  4. Verify you can still switch from main screen to another
  5. Toggle Scroll Lock status to "ON"
  6. Verify you can't switch from main screen to another anymore
  7. Manually stop synergy 2 beta service
  8. Toggle Scroll Lock status to "OFF"
  9. Manually start synergy 2 beta service
  10. Wait for startup
  11. Try to switch screen (should fail)
  12. Check scroll lock status (should still be off)
  13. Toggle scroll lock status (should now be ON)
  14. You should be able to go to other screens

It may be the expected behaviour but I find it frustrating not to have a clear equivalence between scroll lock status and screen switch locking.

Edited by Kelvin Tran
Kelvin Tran
16 hours ago, sholan said:

I am someone really stubborn and still tried to toggle lock screen, it indeed turned ON but I managed to switch to the debian screen.

I ran some test and it seems that Synergy remembers the switch lock status and that Scroll Lock key just triggers a toggle event.

Firstly, wow! Talk about some testing! I'm beyond impressed and in shock and admiration at your efforts to test this as extensively as you did.

Secondly, the quoted lines above, I'm afraid I don't possess the technical understanding quite yet to understand. Toggle lock screen? What exactly do you mean by that?

Additionally, for your second line, it seems that that would be the expected behavior for a scroll lock (lock-to-screen) function, for the software to have a boolean variable that changes based on the input of the Scroll Lock key.

stuart macmillan

Hi, this has been discussed before and it seems the plan is ( or was) to change the scroll lock feature.  

“Our plan for this is to actually have it disabled by default, and have a setting where the user can choose what button they want; this would simultaneously educate users that the feature exists, and allow them to choose a key other than scroll lock (since scroll lock doesn't exist on many modern keyboards).”

There was also discussion of indicating the scroll lock status on the task icon.

Stuart

Kelvin Tran
22 minutes ago, stuart macmillan said:

Hi, this has been discussed before and it seems the plan is ( or was) to change the scroll lock feature.  

“Our plan for this is to actually have it disabled by default, and have a setting where the user can choose what button they want; this would simultaneously educate users that the feature exists, and allow them to choose a key other than scroll lock (since scroll lock doesn't exist on many modern keyboards).”

There was also discussion of indicating the scroll lock status on the task icon.

Stuart

Due to publicized staffing concerns, a timeframe for any expected feature in a future Synergy release has been, is, and will be unclear for the next 6 months while SDEs (software developers) are located and hired. However, rest assured that these features will come. I, myself, just can't guarantee you as to when.

5 hours ago, Kelvin Tran said:

Firstly, wow! Talk about some testing! I'm beyond impressed and in shock and admiration at your efforts to test this as extensively as you did.

Working as a software developper, I know how valuable good testing is before submitting a complaint/remark :D

Toggle lock screen? What exactly do you mean by that?

My explanation was somewhat really confused.

I always considered the "lock-to-screen" state to be a copy of OS "Scroll lock" state.
These tests show that it is actually completely independent and that synergy just listen for a keypress on scroll lock button to toggle "lock-to-screen" function (and it is pretty logical now that I think of it).

I would rather expect for synergy to identify current "scroll lock" state and copy this state to "lock-to-screen" function.

Additionally, for your second line, it seems that that would be the expected behavior for a scroll lock (lock-to-screen) function, for the software to have a boolean variable that changes based on the input of the Scroll Lock key

I completely agree, like explained above, I am just buzzed by the fact the two states can be a mismatch.
The other aspect is that when stopping the service, it seems Synergy remembers state before shutdown, I don't know if I consider this to be a valuable aspect, I don't see any advantage for my own use case.

5 hours ago, stuart macmillan said:

Now you wrote it, I do remember I read this thread and maybe took part in it ... I must be aging ;)

5 hours ago, stuart macmillan said:

A solution that is really the best one.

@Kelvin Tran as a moderator, do you have the hability to change this topic subject ? I forget the S in Scroll and I can't change it myself

Kelvin Tran
4 hours ago, sholan said:

Working as a software developper, I know how valuable good testing is before submitting a complaint/remark :D

My explanation was somewhat really confused.

I always considered the "lock-to-screen" state to be a copy of OS "Scroll lock" state.
These tests show that it is actually completely independent and that synergy just listen for a keypress on scroll lock button to toggle "lock-to-screen" function (and it is pretty logical now that I think of it).

I would rather expect for synergy to identify current "scroll lock" state and copy this state to "lock-to-screen" function.

I completely agree, like explained above, I am just buzzed by the fact the two states can be a mismatch.
The other aspect is that when stopping the service, it seems Synergy remembers state before shutdown, I don't know if I consider this to be a valuable aspect, I don't see any advantage for my own use case.

Now you wrote it, I do remember I read this thread and maybe took part in it ... I must be aging ;)

A solution that is really the best one.

@Kelvin Tran as a moderator, do you have the hability to change this topic subject ? I forget the S in Scroll and I can't change it myself

I do indeed. Changed.

• Like 1
Kelvin Tran
5 hours ago, sholan said:

11 hours ago, Kelvin Tran said:

Working as a software developer, you would obviously have much more insight and experience into this than I ever would, but wouldn't that make the codebase more complex and less efficient because it would have to do so periodically, adding unnecessary logic and processes to the program when it could just be a toggle? What are the benefits of going with your approach?

That's allways the same problem when developping for users :

Efficiency vs. Straightforwardness

There is allways a topic where your users want something fancy and you know that it is a knightmare (performance, optimisation ...).
Allmost everytime, straightforwardness will win, because your users are users.

In this particular case, my remark is voided by the two reminders from @stuart macmillan, Scroll lock won't be the (only) way to lock anymore and systray icon would show the current state anyway.

Is it possible to tag this thread as "useless duplicate from a man that as a bad memory" ?
And thanks for the Scroll correction, such an error make me sick.

Kelvin Tran
16 hours ago, sholan said:

That's allways the same problem when developping for users :

Efficiency vs. Straightforwardness

There is allways a topic where your users want something fancy and you know that it is a knightmare (performance, optimisation ...).
Allmost everytime, straightforwardness will win, because your users are users.

In this particular case, my remark is voided by the two reminders from @stuart macmillan, Scroll lock won't be the (only) way to lock anymore and systray icon would show the current state anyway.

Is it possible to tag this thread as "useless duplicate from a man that as a bad memory" ?
And thanks for the Scroll correction, such an error make me sick.

Well, this is a public forum. Let's leave it. 

• 2 weeks later...
Keiichi25

Small note that I did report this a few times where I don't believe Synergy 2.0 isn't recognizing the Scroll Lock State as I use it heavily.

The one other work around I saw, besides restarting Synergy, is to have a keyboard on the other computer, tapping on the client computer keyboard then on the server side keyboard, it will get Synergy to recognize the scroll lock status.

• 2 months later...
BrentFinley

I was having trouble switching from my windows 10 machine (master) to the Mac OSX  High Sierra machine.  Looking at my logs, I saw that the scroll lock was mentioned in the windows box log.   When I turned scroll lock OFF, I could then switch machines with the mouse and use both machines.