Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

v1 and v2 on same computer?

Is it possible to have both v1 and v2 installed (not running) on the same PC?

I would prefer to try v2 while my work is not time critical and then switch my PC's back to v1 when it is.

I do not have enough spare time to switch back and forth if uninstall/reinstall is required based on my efforts today.

I assume the answer is "no". I won't be too disappointed if that is correct.

Craig

Kelvin Tran
13 minutes ago, CraigW said:

Is it possible to have both v1 and v2 installed (not running) on the same PC?

I would prefer to try v2 while my work is not time critical and then switch my PC's back to v1 when it is.

I do not have enough spare time to switch back and forth if uninstall/reinstall is required based on my efforts today.

I assume the answer is "no". I won't be too disappointed if that is correct.

Craig

I'm actually not aware of whether this functionality will work or not. Never thought about it.

Seems that it should work, unless they write their configurations to the exact same place, which I would doubt but of which there is still a chance. Give it a try! If it doesn't work, everything is always reversible. Please let me know how it goes.

Edited by Kelvin Tran

I am skeptical and have no extra time to investigate.

When I tried to install v1, I first had to uninstall v2. That tells me there is something in the registry, probably.

If I can get v1 to work, then I may try to also install v2 next weekend. If I can't get v1 to work, then I will reinstall v2 asap and not worry about v1.

Craig

Kelvin Tran
4 minutes ago, CraigW said:

I am skeptical and have no extra time to investigate.

When I tried to install v1, I first had to uninstall v2. That tells me there is something in the registry, probably.

If I can get v1 to work, then I may try to also install v2 next weekend. If I can't get v1 to work, then I will reinstall v2 asap and not worry about v1.

Craig

I feel so utterly dumb for never thinking about the registry keys.

I've looked in the registry, you're right. S1 and S2 store some DWORD keys in the Registry, unless my memory's kidding with me right now.

• Thanks 1
Kelvin Tran
1 minute ago, JDDoesIT said:

Are the services installed named differently as well?

The services are named the same on macOS, at least. Only difference in Synergy 2 is that a new process called synergy-core is added. In S1, it's just 3. Config, service, and main app.

Kelvin Tran
14 hours ago, CraigW said:

Good to know, but does not help me in current need.

Craig

Don't use the beta version if you use Synergy for critical work purposes.

Stick to the stable release of Synergy, your purchase of Synergy aids enough in the process of refining and improving Synergy 2.

Mathieu Aubin
22 hours ago, CraigW said:

Good to know, but does not help me in current need.

Craig

You are absolutely right.

I remember posting this thinking of how irrelevant it was to the current thread and ended up noticing that more often than not, we tend to take for granted that our OS of choice is also everyone else's and that every one has experience using it.

certainly doesn't apply to every one but it definitively is something i am guilty of. Sorry if you felt i highjacked this -- i am very needy i know.

certainly doesn't apply to every one but it definitively is something i am guilty of. Sorry if you felt i highjacked this -- i am very needy i know.

I took no offense, no apologies necessary.  I did not specify that I am using Win10. My response was not sarcastic, only a statement of fact. I appreciate your effort to help.

Craig

Edited by CraigW
adding quote
Mathieu Aubin

I wasnt under the impression that you were sarcastic -- all is well...

BUT

In light of this, i am wondering -- as a linux user -- if it wouldn't be as simple as compiling the one version you choose to use yourself. Even if you absolutely had to hack some source files to change some paths and/or default names,it would essentially still be the proper program just using 'dependencies' from some other place than default dir.

Also, another idea that would work real well, at least in theory and assuming that GIT is anything like its linux counterpart, you could create a 'system-wide' repository with a general .gitignore file ignoring the whole root (all files) and add only the files that are being touched/installed/modified from each synergy's installation into a separate branch, allowing you to quickly (if need be) and easily switch from one version, binary file and running libraries to the next. Quickly and effortlessly i might add.

GIT pre/post hooks could be used to manage data that is merged in the registry