Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

keep it seperate from Synergy 1 !!!!!!!!!!

OliverTwist

I tried Sunergy 2 three times. The 1st was a pre-release version; the second was the 1st officlal release, and the third the last "back to beta" version 2 days ago.

2 problems :

1 ) Synergy 2 just don't work on my Macs.

2) Going back to Synergy 1 is a long and painflul process.

The first 1 times, I discovered that synergy 2 used the same preferences and settings as Synergy 1, and that it took me a long time to get 1 to work again.

Kelvin Tran
28 minutes ago, OliverTwist said:

I tried Sunergy 2 three times. The 1st was a pre-release version; the second was the 1st officlal release, and the third the last "back to beta" version 2 days ago.

2 problems :

1 ) Synergy 2 just don't work on my Macs.

2) Going back to Synergy 1 is a long and painflul process.

The first 1 times, I discovered that synergy 2 used the same preferences and settings as Synergy 1, and that it took me a long time to get 1 to work again.

"just don't work"

Define what you mean. It works perfectly fine on my 3-4 Macs.

Not intended to be long and painful at all. What do you mean by that?

If you want a refund, please refer to this post. 

Edited by Kelvin Tran
OliverTwist

It may work on your macs, not on mine. When starting Synergy 2, i get on both macs a square with the name of the mac and no other instructions. On my older mac with El Capitan, the square is green, but it is grey on my newer (or not-so-older) computer with high sierra. When i use the mouse  right-button  on this grey square (I guess it's what i'm supposed to do, but with no docs, it's a guess), I get a menu with the entries "share from <name of my computer>" and "remove "name of my computer". I click on "share from...", then, i've got either:

-nothing

or

an error message "there was a probleme connecting to the background service. Retry" (with a link to a help page on the site, suggesting I press "shift+F5 on both computers, which.... does nothing)

I guess that the grey square is a bad thing, and that  there should be a second square representing the other computer. but again, it's a guess, since Synergy is soooo simple to use that there is no docs.

As to returning to Synergy 1, I explained. The 1st two times, synergy 2 modified Synergy 1 settings , so that Synergy 1 no longer worked. I don't understand all the settings, so I  have to go by trials and errors. The third time, the installation processs just removed Synergy 1 (without asking me if I wanted to keep a copy). I downloaded the  the latest Synergy  1 (1.9) stop working after 1 day, complaining about a permission problem. So In the end, I will have to restore the older Synergy 1 (which worked for months) from Time Machine.

And No, i dont' want a refund, Synergy 1 is great, it's worth paying for it , and even worth paying for the development of Synergy 2. But Synergy 2 is not ready yet and messses up with Synergy 1.

Edited by OliverTwist
Kelvin Tran
3 minutes ago, OliverTwist said:

It may work on your macs, not on mine. When starting Synergy 2, i get on both macs a square with the name of the mac and no other instructions. On my older mac with El Capitan, the square is green, but it is grey on my newer (or not-so-older) computer with high sierra. When i use the mouse  right-button  on this grey square (I guess it's what i'm supposed to do, but with no docs, it's a guess), I get a menu with the entries "share from <name of my computer>" and "remove "name of my computer". I click on "share from...", then, i've got either:

-nothing

or

an error message "there was a probleme connecting to the background service. Retry" (with a link to a help page on the site, suggesting I press "shift+F5 on both computers, which.... does nothing)

I guess that the grey square is a bad thing, and that  there should be a second square representing the other computer. but again, it's a guess, since Synergy is soooo simple to use that there is no docs.

As to returning to Synergy 1, I explained. The 1st two times, synergy 2 modified Synergy 1 settings , so that Synergy 1 no longer worked. I don't understand all the settings, so I  have to go by trials and errors. The third time, the installation processs just removed Synergy 1 (without asking me if I wanted to keep a copy). I downloaded the  the latest Synergy  1 (1.9) stop working after 1 day, complaining about a permission problem. So In the end, I will have to restore the older Synergy 1 (which worked for months) from Time Machine.

And No, i dont' want a refund, Synergy 1 is great, it's worth paying for it , and even worth paying for the development of Synergy 2. But Synergy 2 is not ready yet and messses up with Synergy 1.

Use AppCleaner or another application to remove all Synergy 1 configuration files.

I said that it worked with my Macs not to offend you as an intent, but rather, to state that the software does work with macOS and that it is your environment that may be creating issues for Synergy.

Have you tried to use "kilall synergy-core" in the Terminal or killed all processes in the Activity Monitor when you get the background service error?

Your theory that the grey square is a bad thing is correct. That means that that computer fails to connect either to the local LAN or the Synergy cloud to establish the connection (could be either). However, I assume both of your systems have perfect LAN connection, so I will ignore this as a point of troubleshooting.

Can you send me the logs of both the server and client system(s)? If you are not aware of how, right click on the blue background and hit "Send Log". It'll provide you with a link. Please provide me with log links for all systems in the Synergy environment.

Are there any technical limitations of your network (i.e. firewalling on one system, both systems, or the network edge devices like routers and switches themselves) or is this a home network and you're an administrator? Please describe in further detail the type of environment (computing/networking-wise) that this is being used in. The more detail, the better!

I'm glad you find Synergy to be an advantageous tool for you, I and the other members of the community will personally work with you to help you resolve your issue.

OliverTwist

I don't follow you, i d'ont want to get rid of my Synergy 1 configuration, I want to go back to it if Synergy 2 fails .The best way would be to know where the files Synergy 1 are, so I can do it manually.

For the rest, i'm afraid i've gone back to Syergy 1, it works and i don't have time to redo the all thing again. I guess i'll try again in a few months.

I'm not aware of any limitation of my network , it could hardly be more simple : two macs on a desk, both linked by wifi and ethernet cable to my modem. high-sierra on one side, el Capitan on the ohter (old Mac, won't work with newer systems).