Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Running v2 on MacOS (with Keyboard and Mouse) and Windows

My experience with a MacBook Air and Windows 10 machines has been good once I figured out how to get going. The Windows install of Synergy 2 has been solid - it is there as soon as the machine  reboots. I generally don't try sleeping the machine for various reasons. I do sleep my MBA regularly and most times I need to restart the Synergy V2 processes. The desktop app is a reliable indication of whether the setup is running and connected. Once the MBA is happy I can usually log into the Windows machine. It is possibly helped by the fact that the windows machine only ever sits on one LAN - so Synergy is operational reliably from a reboot. The MBA goes home (to a different LAN) most nights and, at a guess, that is compounding the connection issues. 

I hope that helps. Synergy has been a pretty good option for me so I'm glad of its existence - thanks.

Kelvin Tran
On 6/7/2018 at 8:59 PM, Ian4101 said:

My experience with a MacBook Air and Windows 10 machines has been good once I figured out how to get going. The Windows install of Synergy 2 has been solid - it is there as soon as the machine  reboots. I generally don't try sleeping the machine for various reasons. I do sleep my MBA regularly and most times I need to restart the Synergy V2 processes. The desktop app is a reliable indication of whether the setup is running and connected. Once the MBA is happy I can usually log into the Windows machine. It is possibly helped by the fact that the windows machine only ever sits on one LAN - so Synergy is operational reliably from a reboot. The MBA goes home (to a different LAN) most nights and, at a guess, that is compounding the connection issues. 

I hope that helps. Synergy has been a pretty good option for me so I'm glad of its existence - thanks.

Great to hear that it's been working out for you! Any inconsistencies, issues, or inconveniences?

No issues. One of my usage patterns is to run SQLserver on the Windows machine and record scripts into Evernote on the MBA. An inconvenience: If I run Evernote on Windows SQLServer Scripts get pasted with text colour coding. That doesn't seem to translate to the MBA copy of Evernote though. More generally, CR/LF don't always translate between the OSes. Having said that I am inclined to ask the apps to deal with that rather than have the copy-paste logic in Synergy try to second guess what each OS wanted. I guess another inconvenience is related to the copy-paste logic. If the clipboard contents is large I might need to wait a bit before hitting Ctrl-V. It would be "nice" to for a widget to tell me that the two clipboards are in sync. Maybe the menu bar icon can change or something.

Kelvin Tran
Just now, Ian4101 said:

No issues. One of my usage patterns is to run SQLserver on the Windows machine and record scripts into Evernote on the MBA. An inconvenience: If I run Evernote on Windows SQLServer Scripts get pasted with text colour coding. That doesn't seem to translate to the MBA copy of Evernote though. More generally, CR/LF don't always translate between the OSes. Having said that I am inclined to ask the apps to deal with that rather than have the copy-paste logic in Synergy try to second guess what each OS wanted. I guess another inconvenience is related to the copy-paste logic. If the clipboard contents is large I might need to wait a bit before hitting Ctrl-V. It would be "nice" to for a widget to tell me that the two clipboards are in sync. Maybe the menu bar icon can change or something.

Not familiar with what CR/LF is, not into the whole database business.

Wow. Feature request! Do you mind making a separate post in the Synergy feature ideas forum about your idea with the menu bar icon / widget icon changing when the clipboard is synchronized? Never thought of that.

Hi Kelvin, CR/LF is carriage return / line feed (not particularly a database thing. By default Windows use CR/LF at the end of their lines (of text typically) and other OSes traditionally use just a line feed. So products like Evernote (that are supported on multiple Operating Systems) need to deal with the issue of whether to keep what they get (in pasted text, etc., standardise it or go with the platform. I shall post the feature request separately.

Kelvin Tran
6 hours ago, Ian4101 said:

Hi Kelvin, CR/LF is carriage return / line feed (not particularly a database thing. By default Windows use CR/LF at the end of their lines (of text typically) and other OSes traditionally use just a line feed. So products like Evernote (that are supported on multiple Operating Systems) need to deal with the issue of whether to keep what they get (in pasted text, etc., standardise it or go with the platform. I shall post the feature request separately.

Ah. So it's a way OSs handle character and text input and retention?

Kelvin, in short, yes. If your interest is from the perspective of Synergy then I would be looking at how parallel application features deal with it, Evernote being a case in point. With the limited amount of code I've written on cut-paste technology, I understand that it is possible to offer multiple formats, in a clipboard, of copied data. By example, Excel will insert into the clipboard a text copy of what is copied, an Excel formatted version and possibly other formats. If the destination paste understands Excel then it might look for that version in the clipboard, if it doesn't it is more likely to go for the text version. With the cross-machine copy-paste feature of Synergy (that I find immensely useful) the logic is obviously picking up all copies of the clipboard and sending it between machines - luckily for me. I might be overcomplicating it but I expect there is a small bit of logic in Synergy to confirm that the various formats in the clipboard are compatible with the operating system to which the contents are destined.