Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 2 is back to beta

GranPaSmurf
26 minutes ago, Zaf9670 said:

Are the missing features from version 1.0 security related or quality of life related? I know you have done things similar to roadmaps in the past to show where you're heading and it might be nice to just know what features are missing so people can make the decision to beta test or not.

I think 2.0 has been stable enough for my use cases but that may be because I primarily use it on just 2 machines at a time and they are running Windows.

I'm not part of the discussion about what the goal is, but I'm thinking it will be about what we've been calling 2.1. A lot more options for the configuration that will appeal to the IT department and/or the power-user. About security vs. quality-of-life, I have noticed that V.2 auto-configures a secure connection where V.1 left it up to the users to choose SSL or not.

CHECK OUT THE PLANNED FEATURES FOR SYNERGY 2 IN THE OFFICIAL ROADMAP:

VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE FEATURES:

dfw_swift

I want to compliment you on this decision.  Can't have been easy, but I agree that it was the right choice.

Just recently, I replied to one of my own support tickets that I was going back to v1.9, but would keep checking in on v2.  My desktop sharing has been COMPLETELY stable on v1.9 for the last week now.

Again, KUDOS for eating some crow and moving forward.  I do hope to run v2 in the future.

Spencer Swift

• Like 1
Zach Borgerding

I think that this was a great decision.  To be honest, I was not happy at all that there were bug fixes in Synergy 2 that really should have gone into Synergy 1.9.  I was on the fence for months about upgrading based upon this.  After finally biting the bullet, I was not happy either that Synergy 2 seemed to lack polish / features from 1.9 and had new bugs of its own.  Just seemed like a paid downgrade in many respects.  I think that you might want to email your intentions to Synergy 1.9 supporters.  Might encourage them to come back to support the work on Synergy 2.

• Like 1
Zach Borgerding

I'm with Mikko on some of this.  I'd recommend that the Synergy team takes some time to backport some of the 2.x fixes to Synergy 1.9.

• Like 1
Joel Gray

Hard decisions, but I agree as well that it was correct. I have (like some others) reverted back to 1.9 and will continue to test new versions as they arrive. I like the goal of the 2.x software and look forward to the day it delivers. I hope that my testing and data can help the dev team to track down the issues.

Cheers!

• Like 1
nowyouhavecancer

Agreed, thank you for recognizing that version 2 needs more work as a beta. I've tried every update to version 2, and have never been able to get it to work, and the support has offered no direction to solve the problem. For a very simple configuration (2 Windows machines on the same network, no exotic/overly-restrictive firewall, internet access) I would figure it would work without a hitch, but it never has. I'd like to see it truly be a simple setup, as it's supposed to be an easy install. And for those who have trouble, having any sort of configuration or troubleshooting options would be a huge help.

• Like 1
Austracker

I am having trouble since updating to the latest 2.0.12 beta I can get my windows to interact with each other but not my Mac which should be between the 2 controlling both.

I also just added the Surface of an employee that has left us. So yeah not that happy at the moment

It's never late to rectify, guys, you've made the right decision IMHO. Now you can focus on squashing all bugs and making Synergy 2 a solid product.

• Like 1

after like 3hrs tryn to get the v1 to work (it worked like a charm for last year, then it stopped to work for no reason), i bought the v2.

v2 also does not work.

got back to v1 and oh wonder, it doesnt work.

what now?

im running it on a windows 7 and windows 10 machine and cant imagine working on those without synergy for even one day =,(.

5 minutes ago, xyzzyx said:

after like 3hrs tryn to get the v1 to work (it worked like a charm for last year, then it stopped to work for no reason), i bought the v2.

v2 also does not work.

got back to v1 and oh wonder, it doesnt work.

what now?

im running it on a windows 7 and windows 10 machine and cant imagine working on those without synergy for even one day =,(.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling via this guide: 

• Like 1
Davewill
7 hours ago, xyzzyx said:

please just fix this bug, i dont want to waste more time on this matter.

thanks.

How could anyone fix anything when you've given no details?

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 24/05/2018 at 4:55 PM, Zach Borgerding said:

I'm with Mikko on some of this.  I'd recommend that the Synergy team takes some time to backport some of the 2.x fixes to Synergy 1.9.

Which ones?

goyenator

I have seen a huge stability improvement from 2.0.10 to 2.0.11 and through 2.0.12beta.  I hope the trend continues.  I am using Ubuntu and macOS.  I would highly recommend upgrading if you haven't already.

• Thanks 1
  • Nick Bolton featured and unpinned this topic