Gavin Barnard

Synergy + Zoom - Unable to Clickon Client systems

16 posts in this topic

Hi

This has been occurring since synergy 2.0.6.  I have upgraded to 2.0.10 and the issue is still present.

If I join a Zoom meeting https://zoom.us all my client screens can no longer receive left/right/middle clicks until I restart the synergy service on the main computer.

This is very easy to repro.  Install synergy on two or more systems.   Launch a Zoom meeting on the system sharing mouse/keyboard, all other systems are unable to receive clicks until service restart.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2018 at 1:14 PM, Gavin Barnard said:

Hi

This has been occurring since synergy 2.0.6.  I have upgraded to 2.0.10 and the issue is still present.

If I join a Zoom meeting https://zoom.us all my client screens can no longer receive left/right/middle clicks until I restart the synergy service on the main computer.

This is very easy to repro.  Install synergy on two or more systems.   Launch a Zoom meeting on the system sharing mouse/keyboard, all other systems are unable to receive clicks until service restart.

Let me investigate this issue for ya and see if I can reproduce it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same thing happen to me today.  Joined a zoom meeting and client clicks stopped working.  (Restarting the service on the server is a temporary workaround and that got things working again).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Logs:

mainleft https://synergy-logs.symless.com/83b6246f88d0b275a5a4cebe940a78f9/logs/647-2018-06-19T18-35-20.log

middle https://synergy-logs.symless.com/83b6246f88d0b275a5a4cebe940a78f9/logs/647-2018-06-19T18-35-37.log

right: https://synergy-logs.symless.com/83b6246f88d0b275a5a4cebe940a78f9/logs/647-2018-06-19T18-35-52.log

 

from mainleft: issue occurs during this window


[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:22] INFO: switch from "gavin-pc-win8" to "GAVINBARNARD-E7" at 3831,976
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:22] INFO: entering screen

> Zoom meeting joined and mainleft cursor to middle


[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] INFO: switch from "GAVINBARNARD-E7" to "gavin-pc-win8" at 0,91
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] INFO: leaving screen
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: open clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: close clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: ignored screen "GAVINBARNARD-E7" update of clipboard 0 (unchanged)
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: open clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: close clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: ignored screen "GAVINBARNARD-E7" update of clipboard 1 (unchanged)
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: dropped bogus delta motion: +2981,-449
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] INFO: switch from "gavin-pc-win8" to "DESKTOP-GRN89IA" at 8,703
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: sending clipboard 0 to "DESKTOP-GRN89IA"
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: sent clipboard size=101
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: sending clipboard 1 to "DESKTOP-GRN89IA"
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: sent clipboard size=101
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:56] INFO: switch from "DESKTOP-GRN89IA" to "gavin-pc-win8" at 1912,449
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:34:20] INFO: switch from "gavin-pc-win8" to "DESKTOP-GRN89IA" at 6,827
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:34:24] INFO: switch from "DESKTOP-GRN89IA" to "gavin-pc-win8" at 1860,347
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:34:42] INFO: switch from "gavin-pc-win8" to "GAVINBARNARD-E7" at 3814,644
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:34:42] INFO: entering screen
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] INFO: switch from "GAVINBARNARD-E7" to "gavin-pc-win8" at 0,485
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] INFO: leaving screen
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] DEBUG: open clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] DEBUG: close clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] DEBUG: ignored screen "GAVINBARNARD-E7" update of clipboard 0 (unchanged)
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] DEBUG: open clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] DEBUG: close clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] DEBUG: ignored screen "GAVINBARNARD-E7" update of clipboard 1 (unchanged)
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:09] INFO: switch from "gavin-pc-win8" to "DESKTOP-GRN89IA" at 51,1513
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:12] INFO: switch from "DESKTOP-GRN89IA" to "gavin-pc-win8" at 1910,557
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:12] INFO: switch from "gavin-pc-win8" to "GAVINBARNARD-E7" at 3750,602
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:12] INFO: entering screen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gavin Barnard said:

Logs:

mainleft https://synergy-logs.symless.com/83b6246f88d0b275a5a4cebe940a78f9/logs/647-2018-06-19T18-35-20.log

middle https://synergy-logs.symless.com/83b6246f88d0b275a5a4cebe940a78f9/logs/647-2018-06-19T18-35-37.log

right: https://synergy-logs.symless.com/83b6246f88d0b275a5a4cebe940a78f9/logs/647-2018-06-19T18-35-52.log

 

from mainleft: issue occurs during this window


[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:22] INFO: switch from "gavin-pc-win8" to "GAVINBARNARD-E7" at 3831,976
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:22] INFO: entering screen

> Zoom meeting joined and mainleft cursor to middle


[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] INFO: switch from "GAVINBARNARD-E7" to "gavin-pc-win8" at 0,91
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] INFO: leaving screen
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: open clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: close clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: ignored screen "GAVINBARNARD-E7" update of clipboard 0 (unchanged)
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: open clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: close clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: ignored screen "GAVINBARNARD-E7" update of clipboard 1 (unchanged)
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: dropped bogus delta motion: +2981,-449
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] INFO: switch from "gavin-pc-win8" to "DESKTOP-GRN89IA" at 8,703
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: sending clipboard 0 to "DESKTOP-GRN89IA"
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: sent clipboard size=101
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: sending clipboard 1 to "DESKTOP-GRN89IA"
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:55] DEBUG: sent clipboard size=101
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:33:56] INFO: switch from "DESKTOP-GRN89IA" to "gavin-pc-win8" at 1912,449
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:34:20] INFO: switch from "gavin-pc-win8" to "DESKTOP-GRN89IA" at 6,827
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:34:24] INFO: switch from "DESKTOP-GRN89IA" to "gavin-pc-win8" at 1860,347
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:34:42] INFO: switch from "gavin-pc-win8" to "GAVINBARNARD-E7" at 3814,644
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:34:42] INFO: entering screen
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] INFO: switch from "GAVINBARNARD-E7" to "gavin-pc-win8" at 0,485
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] INFO: leaving screen
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] DEBUG: open clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] DEBUG: close clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] DEBUG: ignored screen "GAVINBARNARD-E7" update of clipboard 0 (unchanged)
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] DEBUG: open clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] DEBUG: close clipboard
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:05] DEBUG: ignored screen "GAVINBARNARD-E7" update of clipboard 1 (unchanged)
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:09] INFO: switch from "gavin-pc-win8" to "DESKTOP-GRN89IA" at 51,1513
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:12] INFO: switch from "DESKTOP-GRN89IA" to "gavin-pc-win8" at 1910,557
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:12] INFO: switch from "gavin-pc-win8" to "GAVINBARNARD-E7" at 3750,602
[ Core    ] [2018-06-19T18:35:12] INFO: entering screen

Hmm.

I'm sorry, I just got around to taking a look at your issue and your reproduction of the issue.

Looking at your logs, there's nothing immediately wrong from logs alone that I can notice. It seems that Synergy is handling the mouse-switching perfectly, the issue now can be narrowed down to the compatibility between Synergy and Zoom.

However, I do have a theory for the issue, and @Nick Bolton, it may serve you well to look into this as it may be a potential issue with other application of Zoom's kind.

You mentioned in your video of the issue that Synergy will begin to work again when the main Zoom window is brought to the background instead of being in the foreground, and I must ask you - does Zoom have any functionality that would allow you to share the screen or any other functionality that might try to grab the mouse? I think the issue is that Zoom is messing around with the mouse's driver call in such a way that it will track cursor movement but, for some reason that I can't fathom, would mess up the system call for a mouse click.

Have you tried this on Synergy 1? Can this issue be reproduced with Synergy 1, since I do see that you are running the beta release of the software?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Kelvin Tran said:

Have you tried this on Synergy 1? Can this issue be reproduced with Synergy 1, since I do see that you are running the beta release of the software?

This happened to me today using Synergy 1.9.1 stable.  I joined a Zoom meeting and the exact same symptoms occurred.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jayvee said:

This happened to me today using Synergy 1.9.1 stable.  I joined a Zoom meeting and the exact same symptoms occurred.  

Hmm. Interesting.

My theory seems somewhat sound based on what you all have described.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kelvin Tran said:

@Nick Bolton, it may serve you well to look into this as it may be a potential issue with other application of Zoom's kind.

@Kelvin TranAnother application that seems to cause issues is AutoHotKey (both in Synergy 1.x and 2.x).  The same symptoms happen, though... when the issue is triggered, clicking on the server's "desktop" (removing focus from any application) allows clicks to go through, at least until an application takes focus on the server.  

There's a more general discussion of this issue here, going back over a year.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jayvee said:

@Kelvin TranAnother application that seems to cause issues is AutoHotKey (both in Synergy 1.x and 2.x).  The same symptoms happen, though... when the issue is triggered, clicking on the server's "desktop" (removing focus from any application) allows clicks to go through, at least until an application takes focus on the server.  

There's a more general discussion of this issue here, going back over a year.  

 

And with AHK, what triggers the issue? AHK being in foreground or AHK just running?

That just affirms my theory of Synergy glitching out with software that also manipulates system calls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kelvin Tran said:

And with AHK, what triggers the issue? AHK being in foreground or AHK just running?

That just affirms my theory of Synergy glitching out with software that also manipulates system calls.

The AHK issue happens much more sporadically/randomly.  Not anywhere near as clean-cut as triggering it with Zoom according to the instructions above.  However, when it happens, the symptoms are exactly the same, even down to the behavior of broken clicks when an application has focus on the server, and clicks working when focus is moved to the server's desktop.  

AHK has a directive to not hook mouse calls by adding a "#Hotstring NoMouse" line in the AHK script (details are in the other thread).  Since implementing that, I believe my AHK-triggered broken_client_clicks have subsided.  Now that I know to expect it with Zoom, I'll have to watch and see if there are any more non-Zoom triggers.  

I'm more than happy to provide additional information from my 1.9.1 environment, and I'm sure that @Gavin Barnard is more than happy to do the same with his 2.x.  

Thanks for looking into this!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kelvin Tran said:

You mentioned in your video of the issue that Synergy will begin to work again when the main Zoom window is brought to the background instead of being in the foreground, and I must ask you - does Zoom have any functionality that would allow you to share the screen or any other functionality that might try to grab the mouse? I think the issue is that Zoom is messing around with the mouse's driver call in such a way that it will track cursor movement but, for some reason that I can't fathom, would mess up the system call for a mouse click.

Have you tried this on Synergy 1? Can this issue be reproduced with Synergy 1, since I do see that you are running the beta release of the software?

Yes zoom allows you to share your screen, allow others to take control, or for you to take control of their shared screen.  I have not had similar issues with Webex or TeamViewer.

I cannot take the time to re-install on 1.9 and rebuild my configs across systems it would be too much downtime, I may be able to do this after summer and the rest of my own work team is back.   Right now I need all systems available to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gavin Barnard said:

Yes zoom allows you to share your screen, allow others to take control, or for you to take control of their shared screen.  I have not had similar issues with Webex or TeamViewer.

I cannot take the time to re-install on 1.9 and rebuild my configs across systems it would be too much downtime, I may be able to do this after summer and the rest of my own work team is back.   Right now I need all systems available to work.

Well, of course not with TeamViewer, as the way TeamViewer works, because it's remote control, it's not constantly interrupting system calls for your mouse driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also chiming in to confirm that I see the same thing using Synergy 1.8.8-stable.  Exiting Zoom on the server machine also serves as a workaround but of course you have to be done using Zoom for that moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ShareMouse solves this issue.  In another topic someone recommended using a different product, ShareMouse.  Sharemouse is free for personal use and works automatically as well as allows me to click to my heart's content while in a Zoom meeting and worked out of the box with no configuration changes needed.  Switching to ShareMouse!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Actually Mouse without Borders from Microsoft is amazing and solves this issue and is free.  I ended up having problems with ShareMouse and it puts up a pay wall after a short period of time if you have multiple monitors (which everyone does).

 

Edited by Adam K
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now