Nick Bolton

How to run Synergy Core directly

8 posts in this topic

On 22/04/2018 at 11:03 AM, Nick Bolton said:

Synergy Core is the command line core binary running behind the scenes in Synergy 2.

On 22/04/2018 at 11:03 AM, Nick Bolton said:

you'll need to be running Synergy Core on all of your computers (as it is not compatible with Synergy 2 since it uses a different protocol).

Is this a typo?

8 hours ago, eth0 said:

Is this a typo?

Sorry, I’m not sure what you’re referring to. Could you please elaborate?

Ah, Synergy 2 wraps Synergy Core in that it provides a new encrypted transport layer with a different protocol. A diagram would probably describe this best. Suffice to say though, you can’t mix Synergy Core and Synergy 2 in terms of end user config. You have to use one or the other because of the new network layer.

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't sure if you were referring to Synergy Core not being compatible with Synergy 1 instead of 2.

1 hour ago, eth0 said:

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't sure if you were referring to Synergy Core not being compatible with Synergy 1 instead of 2.

Ah, well technically Synergy 1 is now Synergy Core (v1), so the two are compatible since they're the same thing.

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2018 at 4:03 AM, Nick Bolton said:

Synergy Core is the command line core binary running behind the scenes in Synergy 2. As this is free and open source GPL code, you're free to download and compile it yourself. However, you will need to write a text config file and run it from the command line yourself. There's also another caveat: you'll need to be running Synergy Core on all of your computers (as it is not compatible with Synergy 2 since it uses a different protocol).

Here's how...

1. Download the source code from GitHub:
    1. You can either use git to clone our repo: [email protected]:symless/synergy-core.git
    2. Or, you can download the zip: https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/archive/master.zip
  2. Next, follow the Compiling instructions to create your own binaries.
  3. After compiling, you'll need to create a text config file.
  4. Once you've got a config, you can now run Synergy Core from the command line
  5. If you need more help, just reply to this post (also, our core wiki is a rich source of technical info).

Why do that when I can just run Synergy 2 and complain to you guys when something goes wrong? (just kidding) :D