Hello! šŸ‘‹

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 2 update for Raspberry Pi

Tried to install synergy on my raspberry pi with the new update(2.0.9). The installer is not working for me. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Synergy 1 works on my unit.

running raspbian 8, Itā€™s just not letting me install the package. I get an error ā€œFailed to install fileā€ An unespecified transaction error has occured.

EngRabbit

Running into the same situation, possibly. I'm not a huge linux style os guru.Ā  Running Raspbian 8 (Jessie) and when I run the package, it will go through the install process to error out with "Failed to install fileĀ  Ā An unspecified transaction error has occured.Ā  More information is available in the detailed report."

Hello,

I am also having the same problem when I try to use the installer from your dl site. "Failed to install file An unspecified transaction error has occurred. More information is available in the detailed report." I am running Raspbian 8 (jessie). I'm afraid that I don't know where to look for the detailed report.

Stratbasher

I'm getting dependency errors. I'm updated as far as I can go, and here's what I get:

(Reading database ... 134137 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../synergy_2.0.9.stable_b30+4a1bbebe_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking synergy (2.0.9.stable~b30+4a1bbebe) over (2.0.9.stable~b30+4a1bbebe) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of synergy:
Ā synergy depends on libqt5core5a (>= 5.7.0); however:
Ā  Version of libqt5core5a:armhf on system is 5.3.2+dfsg-4+rpi1.
Ā synergy depends on libqt5svg5 (>= 5.6.0~beta); however:
Ā  Version of libqt5svg5:armhf on system is 5.3.2-2.
Ā synergy depends on libssl1.1 (>= 1.1.0); however:
Ā  Package libssl1.1 is not installed.
Ā synergy depends on libstdc++6 (>= 6); however:
Ā  Version of libstdc++6:armhf on system is 4.9.2-10+deb8u1.
Ā synergy depends on qml-module-qtquick-controls (>= 5.5.0); however:
Ā  Package qml-module-qtquick-controls is not installed.
Ā synergy depends on qml-module-qtquick-layouts (>= 5.5.0); however:
Ā  Package qml-module-qtquick-layouts is not installed.
Ā synergy depends on qml-module-qtquick-dialogs (>= 5.5.0); however:
Ā  Package qml-module-qtquick-dialogs is not installed.
Ā synergy depends on qml-module-qtquick2 (>= 5.5.0); however:
Ā  Package qml-module-qtquick2 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package synergy (--install):
Ā dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-6) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.58) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
Ā synergy

Ā 

I found the error message (I think):

raspberrypi org.freedesktop.PackageKit[762]: **(pi-gpk-dbus-service:11085): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBUS.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org..a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files.

There is an rsyslogd-2007 error, but as far as I can tell by looking it up, it seems like that is a known message, with no anticipated change. It seems unrelated and just a warning. http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2007

Ā 

revere521

@StratbasherĀ For the Dependency errors, You can upgrade to Stretch (Raspbian 9Ā like i did - its stable now), then do the things I outline below to get it running.Ā  Ā Otherwise, if you want to stay on Jesse, you can search for all the deb files in the correct version ranges here -Ā https://packages.debian.org/stable/Ā Ā and download each of the .deb files individually and run them.Ā  I don't recommend that, though - because you will run into a dependency of dependency rabbit-hole.Ā 

Upgrade instructions here:Ā https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-stretch/

For Raspbian (stretch) there were some dependencies to install, so the process for me to get it working was:Ā 

1. download the .deb on your pi (wget, through the gui, etc.) or on your PC and use Winscp and to place it on the Pi

2. use dpkg to installĀ the .debĀ Ā 

sudo dpkg -i /path/to/deb.deb

Ā 

3. Then use apt to try to fill in the missing dependencies

sudo apt-get -f install

Ā 

4. I did have to manually install a few;Ā  that either the dependency check missedĀ or what-have-you....

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libq5core5a libqt5svg5 libssl1.1 libstdc++6 qml-module-qtquick qml-module-qtquick-controls qml-module-qtquick-layouts qml-module-qtquick-dialogs

Ā 

5. Then for good measure run step 1 again, just to be sure..

Ā 

Ā 

I've been waiting for this on the pi before I upgrade to Synergy 2. I have, I think, 1.8 running on the pi now and it works well except for the clipboard. I'll tell you, I hesitate to jump into this - though I will pretty soon I think - because I don't want to have to monkey with a bunch of dependencies and troubleshooting to get it to work. I appreciate the advice above and I'll try it. What I'd really like is a step by step with answers to questions like; since Synergy 2 is not backward compatible, is it necessary to remove old versions or will they run side by side while I get the new one working? I obtained 1.8 and installed it in Raspbian using apt-get. Is this possible for version 2? Will it ever be? What about those dependencies? Are they a problem in Stretch (which I'm running)? A guy likes a do-this, then-do-that, bada-bing kind of thing. This is so new that there's not much discussion of it yet that I can find. I'll tackle this in a day or two but I'd rather not make a weekend project out of it. I'll read any comments or links with interest before I dive in.Ā  Thanks.

14 hours ago, revere521 said:

@StratbasherĀ For the Dependency errors, You can upgrade to Stretch (Raspbian 9Ā like i did - its stable now), then do the things I outline below to get it running.Ā  Ā Otherwise, if you want to stay on Jesse, you can search for all the deb files in the correct version ranges here -Ā https://packages.debian.org/stable/Ā Ā and download each of the .deb files individually and run them.Ā  I don't recommend that, though - because you will run into a dependency of dependency rabbit-hole.Ā 

Upgrade instructions here:Ā https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-stretch/

For Raspbian (stretch) there were some dependencies to install, so the process for me to get it working was:Ā 

1. download the .deb on your pi (wget, through the gui, etc.) or on your PC and use Winscp and to place it on the Pi

2. use dpkg to installĀ the .debĀ Ā 

sudo dpkg -i /path/to/deb.deb

Ā 

3. Then use apt to try to fill in the missing dependencies

sudo apt-get -f install

Ā 

4. I did have to manually install a few;Ā  that either the dependency check missedĀ or what-have-you....

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libq5core5a libqt5svg5 libssl1.1 libstdc++6 qml-module-qtquick qml-module-qtquick-controls qml-module-qtquick-layouts qml-module-qtquick-dialogs

Ā 

5. Then for good measure run step 1 again, just to be sure..

Ā 

Ā 

I upgraded to stretch and ran steps 1-3,when running step 4 I get ā€œUnable to locate package ā€œ

3 minutes ago, ToMMSiN said:

I upgraded to stretch and ran steps 1-3,when running step 4 I get ā€œUnable to locate package ā€œ

disregard this, I was able to fix it by running sudo apt-get install libqt5core5a

just a missing letter, thanks

revere521

In this case, you need to launch it from the GUI, after its installed it will perform the onetime login at symless and then automatically configure.Ā 

After that you should be able to start/stop it as a service.Ā 

Ā 

sudo systemctl [start/stop/restart] synergy

Ā 

Putting together some of the posts above, this worked for me. Thanks to revere521 for the rundown and ToMMSiN for catching the keystroke error. I expected it to be a pain but, so far, only a little pain and the clipboard works now.

I'd go on to gripe about the sparse GUI and the internet connection requirement but these and a long list of other things are supposed to be in development for 2.1. On the one hand, can't happen fast enough and I'd like a user manual. On the other hand, got it working. So far so good.

revere521

For some reason i can't edit the original postĀ anymore to fix it,

Here it is without the missing "t" in libqt5core5a for even easier copy and paste -- darn fingers :)

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libqt5core5a libqt5svg5 libssl1.1 libstdc++6 qml-module-qtquick qml-module-qtquick-controls qml-module-qtquick-layouts qml-module-qtquick-dialogs

Ā 

Edited by revere521
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got Synergy 2 running. It's a little quirky (two words: background service) and the interface is sparse to say the least. I expect that it will get rounded out and the problems are minor so I'm going with it.

I searched Synergy with the Synaptic Package Manager out of curiosity and was surprised to find 2.0.1.stable~b38+ecfd5e95 listed. I didn't figure Synergy 2 would be in the repository but there it is. I suppose the Package Manager would install it together with all its dependencies as this is Synaptic's job - although I haven't tried it since I've already installed it the other way.

There's also a package called quicksynergy which is a configuration GUI. I can't learn much about it. If anyone knows, the questions I have are 1) is this even useful? Synergy 2 runs and, if I understand it rightly, uses only the simplest configuration like choosing the server and 2) if it is useful, does it work with synergy 2?

I answered my own question which I should have done to begin with I guess. But someone else might find the information useful. Synaptic, although it lists Synergy 2, installs Synergy 1.4. At least it did when I tried it. Why it lists the Synergy 2 package, right down to the latest release, is a mystery to me since it installs Synergy 1.

• 1 month later...

Hey all

So far so good except for this package,Ā qml-module-qtquick. it keeps returning, E: Unable to locate package qml-module-qtquick

Ive tried,

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install qml-module-qtquick

Ā 

On 15/06/2018 at 4:59 PM, revere521 said:

Looks like the new package may beĀ 

qml-module-qtquick2

Ā 

This did the trick!

Thanks,

waRr