Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Problem updating to 2.0.7 (Win 10)

Has anyone struck an issue updating to 2.0.7 on Windows 10? The installer gets stuck on 'Validating package' and never finishes for me.

I thought a clean start might help but when I try to uninstall 2.0.6 I get a Windows permission error. Which may be the reason the update isn't working too...

Guest Steve Williams

Yes, we've seen this problem. It doesn't affect all Windows 10 installs, but there is definitely a proportion of users who see this. Sometimes if you give it time, the install will complete, but there have been reports too where it does not as you mention.

The good news is that we are actively looking at resolving this at the moment. 

In the meantime, this problem can be worked around by doing an uninstall followed by an install. This install validation pause / hang only seems to happen on upgrades. 

Thanks Steve.

There's a catch that when I uninstalling I get an error:

C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe

Windows cannot acces the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.

There's only one account on this machine, an admin one, which I used to install Synergy so not sure what's up with not being able to uninstall 2.0.6. I have no issues uninstalling other apps.

Anyway I'll give the 2.0.7 installer another shot and leave it running longer (probably gave it 10 minutes the first time).

An update for anyone who strikes the same problem: I had to manually disable all Synergy-related services, restart, uninstall 2.0.6 and then could install 2.0.7.

I love this functionality this software provides but that was a bit of a hassle for an update so hopefully it was a one-off...

GranPaSmurf

Most are able to update in place. For some, for some reason, it takes the kind of steps you went through.