Jeff Dickison

(Mac) Change computer name in Synergy control panel

6 posts in this topic

Computer 1 and Computer 2 are identical Mac computers. Computer 2 was restored from a backup from Computer 1 and then properly renamed (several weeks ago).
Today I removed Synergy 1 from  four of my computers and installed Synergy 2.0.6 
The problem I'm having is that Synergy is trying to run Computer 2 under the same name as Computer 1 and is not showing up on the control panel and obviously, I am not able to run both at the same time. 
What makes this even MORE frustrating is when I try to submit a ticket, I have to include the log file BUT the system will not allow 2 log files from the same computer name.

Please advise how I can change the computer name so that it registers on the Synergy control panel.  

Thanks in advance

Out of curiosity, is the network name duplicated without you knowing it? For example, if you ping (by name) each computer, do you run into problems? (check to make sure you don't have two IPs with the same name)... could be DHCP is confused.

Great question JML!

No, they do not have the same network name.  Per your suggestion, I pinged by name and each IP has the correct corresponding name, no duplicates.  

I even searched all files for the name that was showing up. I found one instance of it in a .plist associated with Synergy and I deleted it and all other Synergy related files after uninstalling per the sticky post.  Re-booted, checked again, all seemed clear, reinstalled and the old name was back.

I am curious where Synergy is pulling the name from or which file dictates it, I'd just go in and change it manually.  

Ok, I fixed it.

The computer was retaining the OLD computer name in Terminal so I changed it with command line. Now it works!

Procedure

Perform the following tasks to change the workstation hostname using the scutil command. 
  1. Open a terminal.
  2. Type the following command to change the primary hostname of your Mac:
    This is your fully qualified hostname, for example myMac.domain.com
    sudo scutil --set HostName <new host name>
  3. Type the following command to change the Bonjour hostname of your Mac:
    This is the name usable on the local network, for example myMac.local.
    sudo scutil --set LocalHostName <new host name>
  4. Type the following command to change the computer name of your Mac:
    This is the user-friendly computer name you see in Finder, for example myMac.
    sudo scutil --set ComputerName <new name>
  5. Flush the DNS cache by typing:
    dscacheutil -flushcache
  6. Restart your Mac.

• Like 1

Great work Jeff!

Excellent post!!!!!