Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Install fails on Windows 10 64bit

I've been having this problem since v2.0.4. My dialog with support suggested that they would fix it in 2.0.5 but alas, it does not work. I have followed the uninstall instructions pinned at the top of this forum including removing the registry keys and of course deleting all the folder specified; however, when I try to install I receive a dialog (image below) that is looking for an older installer, v2.0.2, and it will not let me get past this. Unfortunately I'd long since deleted that installer and trying to trick it with a newer installer does not work. Support also will not send me the 2.0.2 version to try to get past this.

Has anyone else run into this problem and fixed it? Does anyone have a copy of the 2.0.2 installer that I can try to get past this annoying error.

Thanks in advance.

image.png.381ceb449a1416f34957f3c3d53db55b.png

-Joel

GranPaSmurf

Joel, I understand you were thorough with the deleting of the Synergy files, but if it's expecting a particular installer, that sure seems like there are still crumbs left behind. To me this sounds like a registry entry. 

I agree, but I cannot find any. I've searched the registry for synergy & symless and found nothing other than entries in my recent searches, which I've also deleted. I cannot figure out what else this is looking for.

I did find some more information. Running the 2.0.5 setup with the /l* <logfile> switch produces output that shows this:

FindRelatedProducts: Found application: {F84DEC21-0749-40DC-B25D-ADDA26459814}
FindRelatedProducts: Found application: {F84DEC21-0749-40DC-B25D-ADDA26459814}

and later

Action 13:50:02: RemoveExistingProducts. Removing applications
Action start 13:50:02: RemoveExistingProducts.
RemoveExistingProducts: Application: {F84DEC21-0749-40DC-B25D-ADDA26459814}, Command line: UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE={6945F850-1C16-42D8-90CE-AEDBD047945A} CLIENTPROCESSID=2348 CLIENTUILEVEL=0 REMOVE=ALL
CustomAction  returned actual error code 1612 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Error 1714. The older version of Synergy (64-bit) cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.  System Error 1612.
MSI (s) (74:2C) [13:50:05:382]: Product: Synergy (64-bit) -- Error 1714. The older version of Synergy (64-bit) cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.  System Error 1612.

Action ended 13:50:05: RemoveExistingProducts. Return value 3.
Action ended 13:50:05: INSTALL. Return value 3.

I'm not able to find anything in the registry with the GUID that is mentioned, I did find a file in the C:\Windows\Installer folder named wix{F84DEC21-0749-40DC-B25D-ADDA26459814}.SchedServiceConfig.rmi but it's a 0 byte file. I moved it and tired again but had the same results.

OK, I finally got it resolved (this has been a long haul!) After learning about those logs it led me down the Google path to finally find the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall tool. Running this tool it found the Synergy application and when I selected it and told it to try to uninstall, it worked! I'm leaving this here in case anyone else runs into a problem like this.

Cheers!

GranPaSmurf

Great Joel! 

I'm planning on updating our UNOFFICIAL Documentation later this week. I will work your solution into the documentation