Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

[RESOLVED] Synergy 2 doesn't find any computers

That invalid JSON request seems very problematic. Are you getting that on both machines?

Are these machines running a firewall?

What can you tell us about the makeup of the setup/network beyond the OS?

6 hours ago, JDDoesIT said:

That invalid JSON request seems very problematic. Are you getting that on both machines?

Are these machines running a firewall?

What can you tell us about the makeup of the setup/network beyond the OS?

Yes, neither can see themselves or each other. 
No firewall besides what windows comes with.
The only thing special about my network is that we have a domain controller and DNS server.

Here is the log from the client computer: https://synergy-logs.symless.com/6067ebce4ea79c888a0049fa8901e44f/logs/6805-2018-02-18T13-23-28.log

Edited by Krylic

So neither of the systems can ping each other locally on your network or when you say see each other you are strictly referring to withing the synergy system?

Edited by JDDoesIT
meaning
21 hours ago, JDDoesIT said:

So neither of the systems can ping each other locally on your network or when you say see each other you are strictly referring to withing the synergy system?

Everything on my network works fine. Synergy is the only thing having issues. 
Also look, synergy sees the computer it's installed on is offline. 
Synergy 1.8.x worked fine. Synergy 2 seems like crap so far. 

16 hours ago, GranPaSmurf said:

have you tried restarting the service on both computers? Rebooting?

yes...

Edited by Krylic

:o

Yeah. That is a no-no.

But... Now we know that if we see that bad JSON error it is a clue that there are remnants of 1.x left behind and they are being used to try and communicate with the 2.x services.

Adding that to the communal experience base.

7 hours ago, JDDoesIT said:

Yeah. That is a no-no.

That's some bad software and nowhere does it say this. It should also have been the first google result on some FAQ or something at least.
I'm pretty sure i tried uninstalling it before. Just not going through and deleting registry entries and app data.
That's pretty cumbersome for the average user.

Having the same thing, just on two Win7 machines. JSON error in the log, no PC sees the other one, Syn1 was formerly installed but was uninstalled before switching. Syn2 first install in 2017 gave problems, 2.04 gave the cannot connect to config server and now 2.05 comes up with this. Everything Synergy releated is allowed in my firewall and no denied connection attempts show in the firewall live viewer window.  Just as a side note, the tilde key is not a great choice because it may NOT be the tilde key on keyboards that are not US english (like my german one). On one PC I can see the log section by pressing ALT + they key left to backspace, which has the ´ and ` characters on german layout. On the other PC the log section will not open at all, ever, no matter which keys I press, and I tried them all with and without ALT, CTRL and SHIFT :) 

I understand that support sent instructions for a clean uninstall and are aware of the problem already. Do they have to do this for every user seperately? Seems like a pointless waste of time to me, can the instructions on how to do it not be posted on the forums? Maybe even as a sticky or just in this thread as it seems to be a solution related to this thread.

I cannot seem to edit my post so unfortunately I have to make a new one. By googling I found a thread where the deinstallation is explained without the explicit need to contact support, it is at

I followed the fairly easy steps and deleted all Folders/Files as well as all Synergy registry keys and did a new install, and now the program works. Just came back to report in case other people find this thread because they have the same problem, so they now know what to do exactly.

Edited by Khaosmoon
typo
  • Thanks 1