Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

There was a problem connecting to the background service

Hello everybody,
Im running synergy in both my Windows 10 PC and my Chromebook.
In the chromebook Im running Ubuntu 16.04 through Crouton, I have no problem downloading and installing synergy but as soon as I open it, it shows me the message: There was a problem connecting to the background service. I clicked retry several times and also went to the Help page where I was instructed to run the following command: sudo systemctl restart synergy but as soon as I run it the terminal returns this: Running in chroot, ignoring request could you please help me to solve this?

Steps to reproduce the issue:

Install synergy from their website.

Run the command: sudo systemctl restart synergy

• 2 weeks later...

It's not about firewalls or logs, we have to face reality: we bought a faulty product.  I have 3 computers connected using Symless Synergy 2 (1 windows, 2 Ubuntu) and the last few days had been a nightmare.

I've already restarted PCs, restarted services, stopped services, uploaded logs.   It works sometimes, but I spend too much time figuring out what is happening than doing real job.  Before I hated switching among keyboards and mice, but right now I now at least that was reliable.

It is really frustrating to be writing a text on the PC with the actual keyboard connected and suddenly Synergy's focus goes to my laptop, where all my texts lands (if I got lucky and had a writebla area to cut and paste back).  The worst part is that I never touch my laptop's keyboard (unless ghosts exists and they are messing around).

If the problem is that I'm using a wifi network instead of a wired one, or two many linux boxes, or haven't called ghostbusters to my home, it should say in some readme file or anything before I buy the product.

GranPaSmurf

Synergy 2.06 was released Monday. So far, with 2 startups and several hours of use, it is working perfectly. I haven't had to open the UI on any of the 4 computers. Win 10, Win 7 and Kubuntu 17.10.

I'd say, give the new version a try and post again.

On 2/25/2018 at 3:46 PM, Erimid said:

Were you able to find a solution to this? I just purchased Synergy and am having the same issue.

Hello and sorry for the late response, I actually couldn't test it since I started this topic, but I will test it today or tomorrow tops and then I will pretty much give a feedback, if it still doesn't work I will probably ask for a refund as the Synergy support already knows as I'm also treating this topic directly with them. By the way the last response they gave me about this issue was that they were "aware of this issue" but as I didn't try the updated version I can't tell if they fixed it, hope they did.

On 2/25/2018 at 4:40 PM, jjavierv said:

It's not about firewalls or logs, we have to face reality: we bought a faulty product.  I have 3 computers connected using Symless Synergy 2 (1 windows, 2 Ubuntu) and the last few days had been a nightmare.

I've already restarted PCs, restarted services, stopped services, uploaded logs.   It works sometimes, but I spend too much time figuring out what is happening than doing real job.  Before I hated switching among keyboards and mice, but right now I now at least that was reliable.

It is really frustrating to be writing a text on the PC with the actual keyboard connected and suddenly Synergy's focus goes to my laptop, where all my texts lands (if I got lucky and had a writebla area to cut and paste back).  The worst part is that I never touch my laptop's keyboard (unless ghosts exists and they are messing around).

If the problem is that I'm using a wifi network instead of a wired one, or two many linux boxes, or haven't called ghostbusters to my home, it should say in some readme file or anything before I buy the product.

I feel you, I really do, Synergy seems like the perfect idea for us with workstations like you described, but I hope that as our friend GranPaSmurf said they have fixed it, if you have tried please tell me if now it works ;)

On 2/27/2018 at 8:35 AM, GranPaSmurf said:

Synergy 2.06 was released Monday. So far, with 2 startups and several hours of use, it is working perfectly. I haven't had to open the UI on any of the 4 computers. Win 10, Win 7 and Kubuntu 17.10.

I'd say, give the new version a try and post again.

I will definitely try it and give an updated feedback.

On 02/03/2018 at 12:41 PM, GranPaSmurf said:

:)

So... Bad news, I just tested it and the issue is not fixed, same problem, nothing new... Do you guys have any update on fixing this issue?

In my case, I completely uninstalled Synergy on each machine, rebooted them and then proceeded to install the last version.  So far, it's good (a few issues, but better than before)

12 minutes ago, jjavierv said:

In my case, I completely uninstalled Synergy on each machine, rebooted them and then proceeded to install the last version.  So far, it's good (a few issues, but better than before)

Fair enough, but are you using Synergy in the same kind of setup I am? Windows 10 PC + Chromebook (Ubuntu) via Crouton?

JDDoesIT

Are there any logs to share?

Please do not copy and paste the entire log here. Upload it and send a link, and tell us what machine it is from.

16 hours ago, Knufle said:

Fair enough, but are you using Synergy in the same kind of setup I am? Windows 10 PC + Chromebook (Ubuntu) via Crouton?

Well, not exactly.  My setup is a Windows10 laptop and two Ubuntu computers (one laptop and one desktop).  The desktop is the one I'm trying to use as main computer.

I've also noticed that when I do something traffic heavy in the desktop one (copying large files via WiFi using Dukto) I had a "connection with the background process" issue a few times until I finished the copy.

On 05/03/2018 at 2:11 AM, JDDoesIT said:

Are there any logs to share?

Please do not copy and paste the entire log here. Upload it and send a link, and tell us what machine it is from.

Yes there are,

Here is my Windows 10 PC log:

https://synergy-logs.symless.com/ccb8a44c95346ba42206a01cff40df35/logs/40232-2018-03-11T16-37-34.log

Here is my chromebook running Ubuntu through crouton log:

https://synergy-logs.symless.com/ccb8a44c95346ba42206a01cff40df35/logs/40232-2018-03-11T16-34-40.log

As you can see, the chromebook apparently does'nt even start the service, idk...

I think you guys should research this scenario I'm trying to use synergy in maybe?

On 05/03/2018 at 9:21 AM, jjavierv said:

Well, not exactly.  My setup is a Windows10 laptop and two Ubuntu computers (one laptop and one desktop).  The desktop is the one I'm trying to use as main computer.

I've also noticed that when I do something traffic heavy in the desktop one (copying large files via WiFi using Dukto) I had a "connection with the background process" issue a few times until I finished the copy.

Well, then your setup can't really relate to mine in terms of software, but thanks for the reply.

GranPaSmurf

Looks like the next update will be someday this week. I'm understanding the developers focused on Linux. 

Watch for it

28 minutes ago, GranPaSmurf said:

Looks like the next update will be someday this week. I'm understanding the developers focused on Linux. 

Watch for it

Well, I do hope so... I would like to draw atention to my specific scenario where I'm running Ubuntu through crouton, maybe they can dig something with this information?

Hi all, thanks for sharing logs.

Same issue here on Centos7 and Windows 7 enterprise. It works on Windows but got the error on CentOS7 side...

I am running Synergy v2.0.7 on both machines.

centos-synergy-service.log

Edited by JLandry

Thanks for the tip. I just sent a ticket to their support team.

I was also in the meantime trying to modify my /usr/lib/systemd/system/synergy.service to follow 

but without any success so far...