Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

How do I disable clipboard synchronization between computers?

I have my work laptop and my home desktop PC side by side all the time and I want to disable clipboard sharing/synchronization to prevent accidental leakage of information where it shouldn't be. 

Also, it would be nice to have a full configuration menu where I can tweak everything.

• 1 month later...

Update: A solution has been discovered for this issue

Solution: Got my refund and bought Stardock Multiplicity which is 700% better (proven by science)

On 3/23/2018 at 6:37 PM, Moderator said:

Solution: Got my refund and bought Stardock Multiplicity which is 700% better (proven by science)

Looks very promising..

I already abandoned Synergy 2 (which doesn't deserve PRO extension) and went back to 1.

Now it seems to be time to move on to something else. Symless can keep my money.

• 1 month later...
michaelsonbritt

Here's how I solved this.

1. When launching the Synergy server, in the main server window, notice the option for "Use existing configuration".  We'll name a config file here, but need to create one first ...

2. Check the folder C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp, of course replacing USERNAME with your actual Windows username.  There should be a file named something like qt_temp.Xy5678, with the last four characters random.

3. Open the file in your favorite text editor, search for the the following line, and replace true with false
clipboardSharing = true

4. Save the file as C:\Users\USERNAME\synergy.sgc

5. Back in the server window, select "Use existing configuration" and then browse for the newly saved file.

Should be all set!  So you do have ability to tweak the settings, but you need to know the format of this file.  You'll have to repeat this process if you ever want to configure interactively in the future.

Michaelson Britt

• 9 months later...
Lamija Tonka

I don't like that I can't disable clipboard sync as well.  That's making a mess out of things for me.

I just looked at Multiplicity and found that they don't support OS X, which is a complete non-starter.  Hopefully, Synergy can mature to the point that we can easily tweak some of these features.

• 2 weeks later...
Lamija Tonka
On 4/27/2018 at 7:57 AM, michaelsonbritt said:

Here's how I solved this.

1. When launching the Synergy server, in the main server window, notice the option for "Use existing configuration".  We'll name a config file here, but need to create one first ...

2. Check the folder C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp, of course replacing USERNAME with your actual Windows username.  There should be a file named something like qt_temp.Xy5678, with the last four characters random.

3. Open the file in your favorite text editor, search for the the following line, and replace true with false
clipboardSharing = true

4. Save the file as C:\Users\USERNAME\synergy.sgc

5. Back in the server window, select "Use existing configuration" and then browse for the newly saved file.

Should be all set!  So you do have ability to tweak the settings, but you need to know the format of this file.  You'll have to repeat this process if you ever want to configure interactively in the future.

Michaelson Britt

This process worked OK for me.

I'm having an issue where the clipboard will function erratically.  Sometimes it only lets me copy, sometimes I can only paste, sometimes I can't put information in or out of the clipboard.

The logs indicate the following: "[2019-02-17T10:51:32] WARNING: failed to open clipboard: 5"

I don't know for sure, but I think that's the error I always see.

Turning off the clipboard seems to have fixed that problem.