Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Avast firewall is blocking synergy

Hello I'm new here so I hope I am in the right place,

I am running windows 10 pro 1709 version as the host server to control  mac-OS High Sierra running synergy 1.8.8

I can see that Avast firewall is blocking synergy and am at a loss as how to unblock it, I have gone through the avast fire wall to unblock it but nothing I do unblocks it, I can block other apps and and unblock them fine, but when it comes to this program it's got me stumped, can someone help me through this and let me know what I'm missing please and thank you in advance for the help... To get these to computers working together.

Duey

Edited by Duey
2 hours ago, Duey said:

Hello I'm new here so I hope I am in the right place,

I am running windows 10 pro 1709 version as the host server to control  mac-OS High Sierra running synergy 1.8.8

I can see that Avast firewall is blocking synergy and am at a loss as how to unblock it, I have gone through the avast fire wall to unblock it but nothing I do unblocks it, I can block other apps and and unblock them fine, but when it comes to this program it's got me stumped, can someone help me through this and let me know what I'm missing please and thank you in advance for the help... To get these to computers working together.

Duey

I'll try as avast see if they know any thing about it or can help.

Check the firewall logs to see what is being blocked, and try opening those ports at least temporarily. I'd also suggest you TEMPORARILY disable the firewall altogether to make sure it is in fact the problem.

5 hours ago, GranPaSmurf said:

Duey, what happened when you momentarily stopped Avast?

Well not quite sure i had to refresh my computer on account i couldn't get out of safe mode through msconfig , safe mode just was not working either way so for now this will have to wait. 

Oh no wait when i turned off the fire wall nothing happened but when i shut down avast i had no problem with connection with it and using the other mac, but so did everyone else on the internet, so as it would seam i need to work on the security a bit more of my network and fix some wholes right now, hopefully the refresh will help some what.

Trial and error is all it is when it comes to computers when your teaching your self how to use one not doing to bad i don't think for some one that did not finish 2 year of high school.  

1 hour ago, GranPaSmurf said:

Good for you.

I haven't used Avast in years, but it seems there should be an 'exceptions' section.

Thanks again for your help,

As I said in my opening post but after reading it again I was not clear enough, I can change other applications (block/unblock etc) which is in the exceptions but just not this application for some reason.I am not sure why this wont work this time round, but I have had it working before with avast with out any problems at all once before and I don't understand what's different I am missing something. Anyway I am sure it will come to me, Keep throwing those ideas at me every brain helps. Thanks again.