Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

There was a problem connecting to the background service.

Martin Fürholz

For 48+ hours I haven't been able to use Synergy on all my computers. (Synergy 2.0.4-stable)

I have contacted support 48 hours ago, with fresh new logs from all computers (Windows 10 host, Windows 10 client, MacOS client) but all I got in response was a standard 'you need to clean re-install synergy' which I did according to the instructions multiple times on all computers.

Still I only get "There was a problem connecting to the background service" when I try to start Synergy.

What I did notice is that the service re-starts every couple of seconds, which led to several gigabytes of log-files in the c:\users synergy- folder. Also there are thousands of entries in my event viewer "Synergy service quit unexpectedly" ("Der Dienst "Synergy" wurde unerwartet beendet." in German) on both Windows 10 PCs. Client and host.

I performed all required steps as support told me to completely uninstall and reinstall Synergy on my Windows and MacOS devices:

Windows:

First, uninstall Synergy using Add or remove programs (or Apps & features).

Next, run regedit and delete these registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Symless
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synergy

Now, delete these directories (if they exist):

C:\ProgramData\Symless
C:\ProgramData\Synergy v2
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Synergy
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Symless

Finally, reboot Windows to ensure that the hook DLL is completely unloaded.

macOS:

First, open the Terminal app and run this command:

launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.symless.synergy.synergy-service.plist

Next, delete the Synergy app from the Applications directory.

Now, run these commands to remove the settings.

rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/Symless
rm -rf ~/Library/Synergy
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.https-symless-com.Synergy.plist

Then, run this command to unload the preferences:

killall -u $USER cfprefsd

Finally, reboot your Mac which will remove the helper tool.

But still when I start Synergy, I only see "There was a problem connecting to the background service. Retry" on both Windows PCs and the Macbook.

I even restarted my Router multiple times, and made sure all LAN cables are properly connected.

This issue started out of nowhere two days ago. The night before everything was working fine, and I didn't change anything on my end. No windows update, no new software, nothing.

What are you going to do about it? Why isn't support being more helpful?

s.jpg

Edited by Martin Fürholz
added image
Guest Steve Williams

Hi Martin, 

Sounds like you are having some real trouble. Have you uploaded your complete set of post uninstall/reinstall to your support ticket?

Thanks

Steve 

Martin Fürholz
28 minutes ago, Steve Williams said:

Hi Martin, 

Sounds like you are having some real trouble. Have you uploaded your complete set of post uninstall/reinstall to your support ticket?

Thanks

Steve 

Yes

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 06/02/2018 at 3:00 AM, Martin Fürholz said:

I have contacted support 48 hours ago,

Looks like you contacted support on a weekend. Sarah replied to your ticket yesterday. I have prioritized your ticket as urgent. Thanks for your patience.