Hello! đź‘‹

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Connect 2 iMac ethernet - Not working

Hello all,

I really need some help! I can't use wifi on my 2 iMac's and need to use Synergy to share the mouse between both computers. I have connected both of them using a standard ethernet cable but Synergy will not connect both of the computers. The IP addresses are different when I check the Ethernet Network Settings for both computers. When I try to assign them to be the same, an error says another computer is using this IP address on the network (since the other computer has the same IP address). I tried changing the last digit with no success.

Please someone guide me on how to make Synergy work by connecting both computers via an ethernet cable on 2 iMacs!!!

Thank you so much!!!!

Synergy 2's not going to work without an Internet connection, so you need to use Synergy 1. That said, you can't assign the same address to both computers. So once you have different addresses assigned and verified, see if you can "ping" both ways (for example, if computer 1's address is 192.168.1.2 and computer 2's address is 192.168.1.3, you should be able to type "ping 192.168.1.2" on computer 2 and "ping 192.168.1.3" on computer 1 and get responses). If not, you need to look at connectivity; do you need a crossover ethernet cable?

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, jml said:

Synergy 2's not going to work without an Internet connection, so you need to use Synergy 1. That said, you can't assign the same address to both computers. So once you have different addresses assigned and verified, see if you can "ping" both ways (for example, if computer 1's address is 192.168.1.2 and computer 2's address is 192.168.1.3, you should be able to type "ping 192.168.1.2" on computer 2 and "ping 192.168.1.3" on computer 1 and get responses). If not, you need to look at connectivity; do you need a crossover ethernet cable?

Dude, you are awesome! All I needed was Synergy 1. I found it on the forum and downloaded version 1.9. However, it is UNREGISTERED as I do not have a serial key in my account for it. I paid for Synergy 2 which I do not need. Can you guid me in the right direction to get the latest Synergy 1 download and how to get the serial for that so its registered?