Stoh

Synergy switch control randomly

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

I use synergy to share my mouse/keyboard from a linux computer to a windows laptop.

It works well for something like an hour, and then w/o any reason, synergy starts sharing from the laptop (there's the little dot below the windows computer in synergy windows). If I use "share from <linux computer>" option, it works again for an hour our so, and then it happens again.

The laptop is next to me, doesn't have a mouse (only a pad) so I'm sure there was no accidental input from it that might confuse synergy.

This happen consistently, even after restarting both the computer and the laptop. I have noticed it is often tied to the use of a meta key (shift, alt etc.)

Any idea what could be causing this ?

logs from the laptop computer right after the problem happened (while i was typing "{" + space -> "{" was received by the windows laptop, space was received by the linux computer) : https://synergy-logs.symless.com/d353aaff1a93ac9a67de1a40abba139d/logs/8607-2018-01-05T13-54-47.log

21 minutes ago, Stoh said:

It works well for something like an hour, and then w/o any reason, synergy starts sharing from the laptop (there's the little dot below the windows computer in synergy windows). If I use "share from <linux computer>" option, it works again for an hour our so, and then it happens again.

And that's why automatic server switching surely looked awesome on paper, but in practice it's a dumb idea IMHO. The way Synergy 1.x worked was great: you have one server; that's your primary machine. If for some reason you need to input something using the client's mouse or keyboard, it works locally to that computer. Then you go back to your main machine and keep working as usual.

Seriously, does anyone go around constantly switching from one keyboard and mouse to the other? Doesn't that make Synergy kind of pointless?