DavidWoods

Can't install on MacOS 10.10.5

14 posts in this topic

I've used Synergy 1 for a long time and love it.  I recently upgraded to Synergy 2 and finally got around to trying to install it today.

When I try to install Synergy 2.0.3-stable on my Mac, which runs OS X 10.10.5, I get the following very helpful error message:

 

Synergy cannot be opened because of a problem.

 

The crash report provides the following information:

 

Dyld Error Message:

  Symbol not found: __os_log_default

  Referenced from: /Volumes/VOLUME/Synergy.app/Contents/MacOS/synergy-config

  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.8.dylib

  in /Volumes/VOLUME/Synergy.app/Contents/MacOS/synergy-config

 

Any ideas?  And, no, upgrading to a newer MacOS is not really an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally, Sarah from Synergy Support told me that Synergy 2.1 will add support for older MacOS versions, specifically including OS X 10.10.5.  It's due out in early 2018, she says.  So I guess I can only wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this still happening? I just bought Synergy 2 but it doesn't work because I'm running OSX 10.10.5. Should I ask for a refund or is this definitely going to get fixed soon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same issue here on OS X 10.10.5 with Mac Pro. I am very curious to when this will be officially released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems I'm a new member of the 10.10.5 won't install club.  I have the 30 days to get a refund on the upgrade to v2 but I'm concerned if I wait until the 30 days expires - what happens if they DON'T provide support for 10.10.5  - My Mac Pro is an older one and not compatible with the newer versions without having to jump through some nasty hoops.

Funny how there is ABSOLUTELY NO system requirements published on the site... I looked and looked, and decided to take universal as it'll be okay.. not a smart move on my part.

I'll ask about the refund and see what they say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also disappointed that the software does not work in 10.10.5.  Not sure that I understand why there is absolutely no information on this on the website or at purchase.  Sent an inquiry before finding this forum or alternatively, to be issued a refund.  Was offered a refund after several days-pending.

More information and a demo option would have been great. I'll try something else and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 4:42 PM, Chris M said:

Seems I'm a new member of the 10.10.5 won't install club.  I have the 30 days to get a refund on the upgrade to v2 but I'm concerned if I wait until the 30 days expires - what happens if they DON'T provide support for 10.10.5  - My Mac Pro is an older one and not compatible with the newer versions without having to jump through some nasty hoops.

Funny how there is ABSOLUTELY NO system requirements published on the site... I looked and looked, and decided to take universal as it'll be okay.. not a smart move on my part.

I'll ask about the refund and see what they say.

It appears after several days waiting for a response (they did respond eventually) that they do indeed expect to have support for this version of the macOS (10.10.5), but couldn't provide any estimates on how long I would have to wait.  I decided to wait it out.  My version 1.x of the software is operating fine for me, so I feel no urgency to have the upgrade.  Hopefully they release the version that supports the older mac OS versions in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/01/2018 at 8:19 PM, Chris M said:

but couldn't provide any estimates on how long I would have to wait

Around 2% of our Mac users are on 10.10, so we are adding it to 2.1 which is due in about 6 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 Months time? I was told by your reps via email that this patch update will be within the first quarter of 2018, which is why me along with many others are patiently waiting for it's near release. However, 6 Months is not within the 1st quarter, 6 Months is the 3rd quarter, which means people like me who have been waiting for this since last year will be waiting a full year. Not cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 more months?  Damn.  I, too, was told that this feature would be out in early 2018.  6 more months is not early 2018.

It may be that only 2% of Mac users are on 10.10, but I bet the percentage is higher in developer communities, as (at least in my experience) you have to keep old Mac OS versions around so you can deliver software that works on the old versions.  And cross-platform developers are a community who really need Synergy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, that is exactly my boat too. I have to keep this old Mac OS system around for development.

I agree, 6 months is crap. I was happily using the free version but wanted to try the new one for easier configuration. I guess I'll get my refund and just stick with the free version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the software is available to run on my system I may give it another try. Did not make sense to invest in something that at the time is not ready to support my system.  Waiting a few weeks probably fine, several months a bit of a stretch. I have never asked a company for a refund but had to do so in this case.  A bit disappointing and time wasted.  If anything....this should be indicated at the time of purchase.  Not that is so difficult to note this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/01/2018 at 8:45 PM, DavidWoods said:

6 more months?  Damn.  I, too, was told that this feature would be out in early 2018.  6 more months is not early 2018.

 

The deadline got pushed back because we had to prioritize more important issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.