none069

Why do you require a cloud service for management and the config

3 posts in this topic

I think this is their way of trying to monetize their app. For example, i used to run this on my laptop so that the adjecent computer could connect to it... but as it is now, I don't even see how I'd switch the config when I move from home to office because of the "auto" "cloud" thing.

You can override the cloud service configuration by setting your synergy.conf file immutable on the machine acting as host (man chflags). At least, you can if the host machine is macOS or Linux. I don't know if Windows has an equivalent setting. It's a fancy form of file locking.

For different locations, assuming there is only the host overlapping, a customized config file may be able to have multiple destinations for the same direction and only the one that actually exists would work. Otherwise, maybe home machines are configured to the left and work machines to the right? Or the left 50% and right 50% from the top of the laptop if they're al up? Or using a script to swap configuration files before running Synergy? Again, it would need to be immutable to prevent the cloud configuration from overriding/overwriting.