Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Command line parameter to start hidden.

Craig Hamm
I'm not a software developer, but I think it should be pretty easy to be able to pass a parameter to Synergy to startup in hidden mode. There is already a menu option to hide the GUI, and it works perfectly. I would like to create a startup shortcut for something like "C:\Program Files\Synergy\Synergy.exe --hidden" and the icon would just live in my taskbar. Since the system service interacts with the desktop, it would seem to make sense from a design standpoint, and many other applications (Apache and mySQL, for example) work this way. The icon already indicates whether the service is running or not, and if you wanted to get fancy, you could even add some other useful visual indicators, such as connection status. But just adding a startup parameter to start hidden would be very nice. Thank you!
  • 1 year later...
I would love to see this. Sometimes I need to stop and restart the server because of the bug at selecting text in Outlook. Would be a lot faster if I didn't need to start the Synergy GUI manually beforehand.
Joel Wyrick
I liked the idea of a system tray icon for Synergy so I looked at the source code. Not being familiar with QT, I made a quick Autohotkey script to accomplish the Synergy icon. I set the script to run at startup so the first thing it does is to open the Synergy GUI and click the apply button, wait for 5 seconds and then close the Synergy window. It leaves an icon in the tray that you can double click to open the Synergy GUI, or right click to get a menu that has to items, "Open Synergy" or "Restart Synergy" Here is the script if anyone wants to use it or improve upon it: [code];\___________________________________________________________/ ; \____ Make system tray icon for Synergy ____/ ; \___________ SynTray ___________/ ; ; AutoHotkey Version: 1.1.15.02 ; Language: English ; Platform: Windows ; Author: Joel Wyrick <joel@wyrick.net> ; Created: 7 July 2016 SetTimer,UPDATEDSCRIPT,2000 ;enable for debugging only #NoEnv #SingleInstance force #Persistent Menu, Tray, NoStandard ; remove standard Menu items Menu, Tray, Add , &Open Synergy, openGUI Menu, Tray, Add , &Restart Synergy, restartSyn Menu, Tray, Add , E&xit, ButtonExit ;add a item named Exit that goes to the ButtonExit label Menu, Tray, Icon, Synergy.ico ; change icon to Synergy icon Menu, Tray, Default, &Open Synergy ; double click to Synergy open GUI goto, restartSyn return openGUI: run, C:\Program Files\Synergy\synergy.exe return restartSyn: run, C:\Program Files\Synergy\synergy.exe winwaitactive, Synergy Basic ControlClick, m_pButtonApply, Synergy Basic sleep, 5000 winclose, Synergy Basic return ButtonExit: ExitApp ;Reloads this script if it is changed ; ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ UPDATEDSCRIPT: FileGetAttrib,attribs,%A_ScriptFullPath% IfInString,attribs,A { FileSetAttrib,-A,%A_ScriptFullPath% ToolTip,Updated script,%A_CaretX%,%A_CaretY% + 100 TrayTip, ,Updated Script Sleep,2000 Reload } Return[/code]