Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Some steps to get this working

Hello All, 

Three days ago i finally had time to get 1.8 running, then yesterday I upgraded from 1.8 to 2 and got it working pretty easily, i followed the following steps and it might be of help.

In my case i run Ubuntu 17.10 on both machines (with Xorg instead of Wayland because there is too much slowdown when using multiple monitors, you can select it by clicking on the gear icon during logon, its also the way to get 1.8 to work on 17.10).

I tried to get it running and it did not work out of the box, what i suspect after seeing the log is that the application seems to default to 127.0.0.1 for unknown dns entries based on the pc's name. I run an external dns, not my routers thus my pc names will not be found on the network. I also noticed the application trying to connect over port 24801 to 127.0.0.1. 

Since ubuntu has firewall and  for 1.8 i had to open port 24800, for 2 i had to open 24800 to 24810, this might be too many but that depends if the devs can tell us how its implemented. Is it a new port for each new grouping of pc's? or are sockets reused?

I also put both my machines on fixed ip's in my router and added the host name as found in Synergy in my /etc/hosts file with the correct fixed ip address. For Windows you could do the same with its host file. By doing this the machines finally connected together and worked. Now i get booted about once or twice a day, but that' s not too bad. Just right click the host pc in synergy and say share from this pc.

Anyway I hope more people can get it working because its pretty nice, however some more documentation would be nice :) (or i totally did not find it because i was to lazy to look :)) 

Anyway happily typing this using two computers :)! 

Edited by gbtw
Kelvin Tran
On 11/22/2017 at 1:02 PM, gbtw said:

Hello All, 

Three days ago i finally had time to get 1.8 running, then yesterday I upgraded from 1.8 to 2 and got it working pretty easily, i followed the following steps and it might be of help.

In my case i run Ubuntu 17.10 on both machines (with Xorg instead of Wayland because there is too much slowdown when using multiple monitors, you can select it by clicking on the gear icon during logon, its also the way to get 1.8 to work on 17.10).

I tried to get it running and it did not work out of the box, what i suspect after seeing the log is that the application seems to default to 127.0.0.1 for unknown dns entries based on the pc's name. I run an external dns, not my routers thus my pc names will not be found on the network. I also noticed the application trying to connect over port 24801 to 127.0.0.1. 

Since ubuntu has firewall and  for 1.8 i had to open port 24800, for 2 i had to open 24800 to 24810, this might be too many but that depends if the devs can tell us how its implemented. Is it a new port for each new grouping of pc's? or are sockets reused?

I also put both my machines on fixed ip's in my router and added the host name as found in Synergy in my /etc/hosts file with the correct fixed ip address. For Windows you could do the same with its host file. By doing this the machines finally connected together and worked. Now i get booted about once or twice a day, but that' s not too bad. Just right click the host pc in synergy and say share from this pc.

Anyway I hope more people can get it working because its pretty nice, however some more documentation would be nice :) (or i totally did not find it because i was to lazy to look :)) 

Anyway happily typing this using two computers :)! 

We typically don't advise catch-all posts unless it's considered an "announcement", such as my "Preliminary Troubleshooting" posting for the beta and even then, that solved beta-like issues. Thank you for taking the effort to write this though.

I have only hidden it in the Off-Topic postings, if @Nick Bolton decides that it's acceptable to be visible on the forums, he'll make that choice. I'll stick with a no. Sorry though, but again, thank you for taking the effort to write such an informative guide.