Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Copy and Paste stops working

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vsndesigns

• GranPaSmurf

• Rig

• Mark Burgess

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running Synergy 2 I have a Windows 10 PC and an Apple iMac running High Sierra, the Windows PC is the server. I find that quite often I cannot copy and paste between the 2 machines, if I res

I have this issue as well. Since the beginning (wow, like 10 years?) and with a variety of OSs (Win XP, Win 7, Win 10, Mac, Ubuntu 16.4). Doesn't seem to be OS dependent at all. Right now I've go

I started with Synergy in June 2016 and had the problem with Copy and Paste from the beginning. I used first 1.5.0, then v1.7.6, v1.8.8 and now v1.9.1. Because I also use some machines with Debia

Posted Images

Same setup and I find the same. Sometimes it depends on the application/data format. So if you first convert rich text to plain text it will then copy/paste OK. However on other occasions it just stops working altogether.

Edited by IT Troll

I don't believe it is a keyboard support issue. When sharing the keyboard the copy/paste functions work fine within whichever computer you are currently controlling. It is just that the clipboard contents are not always shared to other computers.

The cmd<->win translation is handled fine. In fact I actually use a Mac keyboard plugged into my Windows PC and can happily control both.

The issue isn't the keyboard, copy/paste works perfectly fine...and then it stops, and only a restart fixes it.

I've tried copying and pasting into a text document to remove any special character or HTML on my Windows PC and then copying the raw text and trying to paste it on my mac, but that also fails.

• 3 weeks later...

I've also had problems with "copy-paste stops working" since I started to use(probably few years now).. Updated to 2.0.1 on hope that they fixed it, but its still there, at least for me win7-win10

I, too, am having issues with this - specifically I noticed that copy-paste between the host (Windows 7) and remote (Windows 10) failed to work pretty consistently.  This is a major issue for me since many of the URLs I have to test across these different hardware platforms are simply impractical to type in.  

I've emailed support and I hope to hear back soon.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have this issue as well. Since the beginning (wow, like 10 years?) and with a variety of OSs (Win XP, Win 7, Win 10, Mac, Ubuntu 16.4). Doesn't seem to be OS dependent at all.

Right now I've got a Win 10 server and Win 10 client and it happens. My other set up is Win 10 server, Ubuntu client and it happens there too.

It's almost as if it gets "tired" after I do a lot of network related things (copying files, etc - not just synergy related things). Then I have to open the synergy window (on the server) and hit "apply" to restart it...and it'll be ok for another few hours, or the rest of the day if I get lucky.

That being said, I JUST installed ver 2 Pro...so hopefully it'll be more reliable.

Even with this annoying-as-heck glitch, I still Love The Software!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
DoctorScottEMT

I'm still seeing this issue in 2.0.4-stable as well with a Windows 10 Pro server and Windows 7 Pro client.  Malcom from the support team confirmed that copy/paste is a known issue that it on their "to be fixed" list.  This is not a new bug -- I've intermittently experienced this in Synergy 1.x as well. Just as garraeth mentioned in a prior post, I've found that it is sometimes possible to restart the Synergy server (and/or client) to get this problem to temporarily resolve.

• 5 weeks later...
Brian Sayatovic

Having same trouble on 1.8.8-stable between Windows 10 Pro server and MacOSX High Sierra Client.  Server->Client not working, but Client->Server working.

I don't have version 2, but the problem happens on v1 and usually restart the server to fix it.  I just found a solution from another forum.  

Try copying and then waiting 3 seconds before moving your cursor over to the other machine and then paste.  It works for me.  Hope it works for you in v2

d.

OH, and it's not even just when it's been on for a while! I haven't even gotten that far. I just installed it for the first time aaaaand nothing. No copy/paste. Key combos don't matter, doesn't matter when I use menus. Nada.

8 hours ago, mao said:

I can't believe this has gone on for so long. This is not normal and this is not okay. It proves they are unable to diagnose and fix bugs in their own system. It has probably grown to insane complexity, which is probably why it seems to take them forever to do anything. I have demanded a refund and I suggest everyone else who can do so, too. I'm honestly not sure how they don't feel personally ashamed about it. Like, this is a big part of the software...how does it not work and how is "restart your computer" anything CLOSE to an appropriate fix!? Big splash with 2.0 and oh that feature you paid an extra $30 for well it works sometimes sorta you know just restart your machine it's fine!

******* ridiculous

Chill and You dont need to restart computer, just restart the synergy service to get copypaste working again.

Edited by GranPaSmurf
vulgarity
GranPaSmurf

Mao,

I just deleted one of your posts because of vulgarity. Please be professional. BTW, this is a self-support forum. This forum is experienced users willing to spend their time trying to help you. 

EVERY issue you encounter needs to be reported to https://symless.com/contact/customer-support

If you choose, this email address gets you prompt action: [email protected]

GranPaSmurf
On 2/8/2018 at 5:13 PM, Douglas said:

Try copying and then waiting 3 seconds before moving your cursor over to the other machine and then paste.  It works for me.  Hope it works for you in v2

d.

Douglas,

I've had this experience. On my systems, it seems to be related to resources. I think it is worse if there is some background stuff going on. Again, on my systems, the 'cut & paste' feature works but isn't reliable.

• 4 months later...
On 2/8/2018 at 3:13 PM, Douglas said:

I don't have version 2, but the problem happens on v1 and usually restart the server to fix it.  I just found a solution from another forum.  

d.

This works for me (in v2-beta). Thanks for the heads-up.

Michael Taggatz

I started with Synergy in June 2016 and had the problem with Copy and Paste from the beginning. I used first 1.5.0, then v1.7.6, v1.8.8 and now v1.9.1.

Because I also use some machines with Debian and Ubuntu, I have never installed Synergy 2.

But one thing I noticed. I can leave the systems running for several days and copy and paste text hundreds of times, between different Synergy Clients, without any problem, as long as I do not copy on the same Linux system, between two Application, or two Terminal sessions.

Why I have not yet informed the support? Once stop and a few seconds later start again pressed on the server and everything keeps going.

I have been forced to use Microsoft products for 35 years and everyone who survives, has learned to laugh about small issues.

• Thanks 1
GranPaSmurf
15 hours ago, Michael Taggatz said:

I have been forced to use Microsoft products for 35 years and everyone who survives, has learned to laugh about small issues.

Ha! That must be why I've not had some of the reported issues.

1. Only recently added Linux to my mix of Windows machines
  2. Got no MACs
  3. I'm old and slow.?
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...
Mark Burgess

I have the same issue copying from Windows 10 to Mac. What's odd is that the text is in the clipboard (Finder/Edit/View Clipboard), but no combination of keystrokes or menu navigation will paste it.  Not sure if it's related, but the scrolling functions disappear on all my machines frequently and will return, in some cases, when I use the up/down cursor but mostly I have to restart the app, in which case, the cursor pops back to the server and I lose my place.

I'm on 1.10.3-stable-ca35737a across the board and will upgrade to 1.11 but this sounds like a long lasting issue from the notes in this forum.

Mark

I've been having this issue as well, for quite some time.  Synergy v1 latest on Windows 10 PC server and Mac laptop (High Sierra / 10.13.6) client.

Every so often (once every hour or so) communication seems to stop.  Often it seems to be triggered by a click or a cut/copy operation on the client, but sometimes it's not.   It takes 30 or so seconds to re-establish communication.  Sometimes it will take longer and I'll have to re-start Synergy on the server.

I thought it was a MacOS wireless issue, but I switched to hardwired and it did not help.  Both are plugged into the same dumb Netgear ethernet switch.

Potentially related: I've noticed that sometimes I will use a right-click context menu to do a Copy operation, and it simply won't work.

Edited by PatO
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been experiencing this forever between my Mac and Host Windows PC. It's definitely a bug, as when you restart the SERVER side (Windows) box's Synergy Service, it corrects itself and copies well again. Since It's been such a persistent bug not fixed over dozens and dozens of versions... I developed this fix to save myself time.

Create a batch file that has this in it:

@ECHO OFF
cmd /c "net stop "Synergy" & sc start "Synergy""

Then create a desktop icon or link that exists on the task bar you can click. You'll lose synergy access to your seocndary host of just a few seconds, but when the service restores and the connection re-establishes, you'll get the right COPY/PASTE contents back.

Thought about making it a scheduled task but I haven't seen any level of predictable timing for when the bug occurs.

• Like 1
Mark Burgess

I just leave the interface up (don't hide it) and hit APPLY.  The cursor jumps back to my server, as I would expect with stopping and restarting the service.  I'll try your solution to see if it's any quicker.  Thanks,

Mark