Mohana

Use custom network interface

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I tested the stable today and it worked fine so far.
But for my taste it is too simple, not much control. And yes I read about advanced Settings for 2.1.
Here something I "need".

I have multiple network cards and logical interfaces on both my windows machines. It would be nice
to configure on which interface Synergy should listen and run.

On my second Computer I am routing all http connection (Firefox) over a proxy. During the sign in process
to the Symless Website happens an IP mismatch. I solved the problem via reconfigure Firefox proxy settings but
I would like Synergy sends over the proxy too.

I read in the forum the cloud is needed for activation and IP exchange. Is the upcoming 'Offline mode' for both?
If I can recall correctly that was also problems with the online activation process (ssl ?) in the 1.x version.
And the configuration for the client and server should not go outside the LAN.

So long my 50 cent.

Have a nice day.

U. Gerwert

P.S.: Sorry for my bad English.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mohana said:

Hello,

I tested the stable today and it worked fine so far.
But for my taste it is too simple, not much control. And yes I read about advanced Settings for 2.1.
Here something I "need".

I have multiple network cards and logical interfaces on both my windows machines. It would be nice
to configure on which interface Synergy should listen and run.

On my second Computer I am routing all http connection (Firefox) over a proxy. During the sign in process
to the Symless Website happens an IP mismatch. I solved the problem via reconfigure Firefox proxy settings but
I would like Synergy sends over the proxy too.

I read in the forum the cloud is needed for activation and IP exchange. Is the upcoming 'Offline mode' for both?
If I can recall correctly that was also problems with the online activation process (ssl ?) in the 1.x version.
And the configuration for the client and server should not go outside the LAN.

So long my 50 cent.

Have a nice day.

U. Gerwert

P.S.: Sorry for my bad English.

For multiple logical interfaces, I believe that you can do that right now, though, with a special application if you're on Linux. I know there are methods to restrict application access to a specific set of network cards, but it is not through Synergy itself. I don't know if this is on the roadmap, but if it isn't, @Nick Bolton, you have my agreement with this guy. This NEEDS to be on the roadmap for power users for 2.1. It's surprisingly annoying.

The offline mode is pretty self-explanatory. It makes no connection to the cloud, making it almost like Synergy 1. The configuration process will not go outside the LAN (although the method of doing so, whether it will be auto like Synergy 1 or manual is unclear) and will not make attempts to configure through a cloud bridging service. Again, coming in 2.1. Additionally, in 2.1, you will have a less dependent cloud service, transferring only IP addresses and connection info. The rest will be transmitted in a Synergy PAN or ad-hoc network (idk which).

Why would you like to proxy Synergy traffic? Is there a security reason, or just convenience to have to save you from reconfiguring Firefox proxy settings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"whether it will be auto like Synergy 1 or manual is unclear"

Ought to be automatic like Synergy 1. The idea is not to lose any of the user benefits of the last release. And another vote to make the "outside" connections 100% optional. We really need to be able to fully use Synergy 2 with absolutely no outside connections!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Kelvin Tran said:

The offline mode is pretty self-explanatory. It makes no connection to the cloud, making it almost like Synergy 1. The configuration process will not go outside the LAN (although the method of doing so, whether it will be auto like Synergy 1 or manual is unclear) and will not make attempts to configure through a cloud bridging service. Again, coming in 2.1. Additionally, in 2.1, you will have a less dependent cloud service, transferring only IP addresses and connection info. The rest will be transmitted in a Synergy PAN or ad-hoc network (idk which).

Why would you like to proxy Synergy traffic? Is there a security reason, or just convenience to have to save you from reconfiguring Firefox proxy settings?

The only information should be need whether I brought an Pro or Basic Edition, I think.
Perhaps it is ab bit unclear for me what is meant by "transferring only IP addresses and connection info", except for now (Version 2.0) the could is supporting the configure process which will in Version 2.1 work with the cloud. Hope I understood it right.

To the Proxy question: With Synergy traffic I did not mean the Mouse/Keyboard control packages through the LAN. Synergy opens my browser to sign in.
All my traffic on this machine are routed via a TAP-Interface (VPN). My Proxy on this machine is bind to the LAN-Interface. Firefox requests data via Proxy->LAN-Interface->Public IP while Synergy seams to me requests data via TAP-Interface->VPN-IP. And this two IP does not match.
The solution now is to disable Firefox proxy setting to match both IPs and reenable the proxy afterwards.
Yes I build it this way for security.

I am using Synergy 1.x for some years now. I like the software, it is very useful for me. A big thank you for your hard big work.

So long

U.Gerwert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Mohana said:

The only information should be need whether I brought an Pro or Basic Edition, I think.
Perhaps it is ab bit unclear for me what is meant by "transferring only IP addresses and connection info", except for now (Version 2.0) the could is supporting the configure process which will in Version 2.1 work with the cloud. Hope I understood it right.

To the Proxy question: With Synergy traffic I did not mean the Mouse/Keyboard control packages through the LAN. Synergy opens my browser to sign in.
All my traffic on this machine are routed via a TAP-Interface (VPN). My Proxy on this machine is bind to the LAN-Interface. Firefox requests data via Proxy->LAN-Interface->Public IP while Synergy seams to me requests data via TAP-Interface->VPN-IP. And this two IP does not match.
The solution now is to disable Firefox proxy setting to match both IPs and reenable the proxy afterwards.
Yes I build it this way for security.

I am using Synergy 1.x for some years now. I like the software, it is very useful for me. A big thank you for your hard big work.

So long

U.Gerwert

The sign in process only occurs once. It is a one-time process meant to activate Synergy.

Okay. Let me try to explain. Imagine we have two people in a relationship. Joe and Linda. 

Now, Joe hasn't even heard of Linda before (think Synergy terms, of course) but here comes Dan. Dan helps Joe to meet Linda. But Joe and Linda carry the relationship forth from there, Dan doesn't interfere with their "stuff".

In the same way, Synergy is "network-aware", but they've never met each other. The cloud, on the other hand, has "met" both of them and acts as an intermediary system until the two manage to transfer (really, proxy through the server) enough information to initiate a connection. From there, the cloud steps out of the way and lets the two systems communicate through a LAN-based connection.

I may have used the analogy in a subpar manner, but hopefully you understand my gist here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jml said:

"whether it will be auto like Synergy 1 or manual is unclear"

Ought to be automatic like Synergy 1. The idea is not to lose any of the user benefits of the last release. And another vote to make the "outside" connections 100% optional. We really need to be able to fully use Synergy 2 with absolutely no outside connections!!!!

v2.0 was made to 1.) address concerns of some Synergy 1 users for a better auto-config and 2.) experiment to see whether users would care about power-user type settings, like the ones Synergy 2 offers. 

Additionally, outside connections will be 100% optional when v2.1 comes with offline mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm I understood what you mean.

Well I am thrilled for the upcoming V2.1.

So long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 on this. I can't get Synergy2 to work at the moment because my server (Windows 8.1) seems to hook itself to 2 Virtualbox interfaces, which my client (Arch Linux) obviously can't connect to (it tries for a while with the 2 bogus IPs and then I get the "Gave up trying to connect to ..." messages), and even if it was able to access those interfaces it wouldn't work anyway. Restarting the services doesn't seem to change anything, guess I'll try to reboot...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we can't edit our posts, but I managed to fix this by swapping the server to the other machine and then back to the original one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now