Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Adjustable screen size

I'm completely baffled as to why Synergy has a fixed window size that takes up almost the entire screen. On a retina mac that's a tremendous amount of wasted space. But what confuses me even more is not even why, but how you did it? I seriously cannot find a window toolkit that makes non-resizable windows.

I take that back. Pardon the snark, but I don't care how, but I really don't care why. Join the 1980s (or better yet come forward a few decades!) in application window design...

• Like 1

After you have Synergy up and running on your machines, you can close the window and it will continue to run in the background. You don't need to leave the window open for it to work.

jaap aarts

they use QT5

its kinda stupid, its not a problem for me since I ise i3wm, but 99.99999% of the people out there dont.

and on my laptop I tried out without using i3wm and it just didnt fit on my tiny screen, al could do was full screen.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
10 hours ago, jaap aarts said:

they use QT5

The shame. Oh, the shame. Thinking about Electron for Synergy 3...

12 hours ago, Jo Rhett said:

I'm completely baffled as to why Synergy has a fixed window size that takes up almost the entire screen.

Yeah, that sucks. We wanted to fix that for the stable release but had more important fixes to implement.

We'll definitely get this fixed for 2.1 since it annoys the hell out of me... but we'll see about getting this into 2.0 at a push.

• Like 1
aristizabal95

This was something that was added on Synergy 1, and I believe it's a must. My current setup has two computers with different screen sizes and at different heights, Now I love the ease of positioning each screen on the UI (even though I would absolutely love a more precise way of doing it), but there is no way to resize the screen on synergy UI. This makes the transition between both screen ugly, as the y-axis position won't match, making the pointer jump from screen to screen.

• Like 1
esotericist
On 11/7/2017 at 10:12 PM, Nick Bolton said:

The shame. Oh, the shame. Thinking about Electron for Synergy 3...

I surely hope not. Electron has a lot of bewildering problems, and I've learned the hard way that any given electron app will almost certainly not work for me.

My 'favorite' is the github desktop app, which gets into an escalating fork loop that is rather annoying to halt -- all without actually letting me use the app.

• 2 weeks later...
aristizabal95
On 11/10/2017 at 2:40 PM, aristizabal95 said:

This was something that was added on Synergy 1, and I believe it's a must. My current setup has two computers with different screen sizes and at different heights, Now I love the ease of positioning each screen on the UI (even though I would absolutely love a more precise way of doing it), but there is no way to resize the screen on synergy UI. This makes the transition between both screen ugly, as the y-axis position won't match, making the pointer jump from screen to screen.

I just realized my topic got merged here. I'm not talking about the size of the synergy window, but about the physical size of the screens. Synergy 2 considers that every screen on the network has the same size, and this cannot be adjusted. In my case, I have a big monitor for my Mac server and a small monitor for my Windows client.

20171120_125507.thumb.jpg.1fbb87449e0e83057b4f3060c2d932d8.jpg

Yet on synergy they have the same size

5a1317e9895a3_ScreenShot2017-11-20at12_53_37PM.png.a1c1cb60cd0c1b80d3c66690e707e176.png

So the mouse jumps whenever I move from one screen to the other. I know this is not much of a big deal, but I feel the lack of this configuration makes the app feel a little short.

If it is possible to reopen my topic with this new information, I think is necessary so that this 2 different topics don't get all confusing.

image.png.1d4040ca3ff791cf0dc2bc5d6c5cc07f.png

On my screen setup top window is 3 fullHD monitors and bottom left is 2x fullHD monitors. I need to put them in this layout to have some mouse move connection.

I wish I could stretch the screens to fit.

• Like 1
derek.smiley

My office workstation has the following monitor setup (Thinkpad P51 with Quadro M2200).

image.png.e8d4eaf17b8501dc29efb968702aaeee.png

If I put another workstation above my server workstation, I can only move between screens from the top of monitors "3" or "4" as pictured; I cannot enter the client workstation from the center display "2". So I put the client workstation to the left instead.

image.png.0b5a3b0a42dfba222f26ce2e2e71b34b.pngimage.png.0b5a3b0a42dfba222f26ce2e2e71b34b.png

I believe this is because Synergy probably takes a mask of your workstation's display(s) and squares it off. So if the mouse doesn't hit the x=0 coordinate, it won't let the mouse leave the screen to the other workstation.

I have my middle monitor aligned with my side portrait displays according to their actual orientation on in front of me, so when I move a mouse between the displays it is lined up.

Edited by derek.smiley