_eka_

Offline mode for when internet is down

7 posts in this topic

Just was unable to use Syn2 due to a failure to connect to background service.  I've not seen that happen before.  If it's due to a dependency on the internet, that could lead to thousands of clients not being able to work.  If so, seems like a major priority to remove that dependency.

Please learn from a bigger company:

That's a device that depends on Cloud, and they are shutting down the Cloud services because it's very expensive (for whatever reason) and so they have to discontinue that product that "depends" on Cloud to function, they are losing credibility and many, many loyal customers.

Be warned.

Synergy 2.1 will roll out as a beta in January and a final in later months from January. That will include an offline activation and connection service. v2.0 was made primarily to address auto-configuration. If your internet is down, establishing a new connection will not work, but your connection is still local, making the lack of an internet connection a non-factor.

All the cloud is doing is bridging the two computers by sharing IP info. After that, the connection is purely local and no longer dependent on the cloud. That's the flow I got from Nick, and if it isn't this way in v2.0, it definitely will in 2.1, as Symless has said that the client will become less dependent on cloud services.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mzirino said:

Just was unable to use Syn2 due to a failure to connect to background service.  I've not seen that happen before.  If it's due to a dependency on the internet, that could lead to thousands of clients not being able to work.  If so, seems like a major priority to remove that dependency.

It is a major priority, and Symless is working very hard to remove that dependency. Unfortunately, the fruits of their labor will not be experienced for a while.

• Like 1

I have just purchased Synergy 2. If I have known it would not start to work without internet, I would have not bought it. It is a very poor engineering. PoS.