Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Key mapping

Kelvin Tran

Refer to the "Things coming to Synergy 2.1" post. This is mentioned. It will not be exclusively Windows shortcuts, I believe.

@Nick Bolton, can you confirm this for me?

Edited by Kelvin Tran
  • Kelvin Tran locked and unlocked this topic
Kelvin Tran
17 minutes ago, stuart macmillan said:

Yes but it gets the conf file from the cloud so if you edit it it will just download the old one.

not 100%sure though.

No, not necessarily.

That being said though, Symless doesn't really want users to go into the .conf files, so that's plausible.

I'd go ahead and make a backup of the .conf file, and then go back and modify it with TextEdit at your own risk. You should be fine with a backup if you mess anything up badly in Synergy though. By posting on the forums, you've already accepted that you wouldn't like to contact [email protected] for their direct assistance, so go straight for it! We'll be here to help if anything goes wrong.

I'm happy to try to make the changes at my own risk, with the necessary backups.

I just need to know what and where I should add to the synergy.conf file.

I am only using 2 of these machines at the moment.

Server : Shauns-MacBook-Air.local

Client : anna-dell:

This is the synergy.conf file

Any advice on how I edit this to get anna-dell which is running Ubuntu 16.04 to use the CMD keys from Shaun's-MacBook-Air as ctrl, would be greatly appreciated

section: screens
  anna-dell:
    halfDuplexCapsLock = false
    halfDuplexNumLock = false
    halfDuplexScrollLock = false
    xtestIsXineramaUnaware = false
    switchCorners = none
    switchCornerSize = 0
  Shauns-MacBook-Air.local:
    switchCorners = none
    switchCornerSize = 0
  ubuntu:
    switchCorners = none
    switchCornerSize = 0
  earth:
    switchCorners = none
    switchCornerSize = 0
end

section: links
  anna-dell:
    left(0,98.2759) = Shauns-MacBook-Air.local(1.72414,100)
  Shauns-MacBook-Air.local:
    up(0,100) = earth(0,100)
    right(1.72414,100) = anna-dell(0,98.2759)
  ubuntu:
  earth:
    down(0,100) = Shauns-MacBook-Air.local(0,100)
end

section: options
  relativeMouseMoves = false
  screenSaverSync = true
  win32KeepForeground = false
  switchCorners = none
  switchCornerSize = 0
end

Edited by Naturofix
stuart macmillan

I've tried edit and deleting the conf files.

As soon as I make a change with Synergy-Config.exe on any pc the file is created/restored to the previous state on the server. I even tried to stop the service edit the file and restart it.

As I said maybe i'm wrong or missing something but I cant seem to keep edit conf files.

I think this is by design and i'm pretty happy with it.

Edited by jaap aarts
removed newlines
jaap aarts
2 hours ago, stuart macmillan said:

I've tried edit and deleting the conf files.

As soon as I make a change with Synergy-Config.exe on any pc the file is created/restored to the previous state on the server. I even tried to stop the service edit the file and restart it.

As I said maybe i'm wrong or missing something but I cant seem to keep edit conf files.

I think this is by design and i'm pretty happy with it.

no you cant edit the file, it get restored from the cloud.

this might be a problem now, but when they add more config it won't is an issue a much as it is now.

the windows(and hopefully) linux to mac key switching it coming in 2.1 I think

Hi guys,

the feature to edit the hotkeys is not included in V2 at the moment. It will be implemented with 2.1 - but you will have to wait until Q1 2018 to be able to edit the hotkeys again.

• 5 months later...

Q2 apparently?

On 11/8/2017 at 6:05 PM, MarcoMSP said:

Hi guys,

the feature to edit the hotkeys is not included in V2 at the moment. It will be implemented with 2.1 - but you will have to wait until Q1 2018 to be able to edit the hotkeys again.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
3 minutes ago, Jonas D. said:

Q2 apparently?

Probably more like Q4 now due to staffing issues ?

• Sad 1
33 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

Probably more like Q4 now due to staffing issues ?

Any way of manually doing the switch already? I just "upgraded" to Synergy 2, the transitions are smoother (no more mouse getting stuck on a certain client) but it's completely unusable keyboard-wise

Also looking for a way to remap keys. I've moved from Synergy 1.8.x (using unpaid nightlies) to Synergy 2.x (paid for pro) and instead of getting more features I'm now doing my head in context switching key mappings between my Windows desktop and Mac. A problem that was solved ages ago on 1.x.

Feeling a bit stooged.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Really sorry about this guys, I know S2 currently has less features than S1, but this is temporary. We are working really hard on stability at the moment, and we’re also having unexpected staffing issues. The plan was to have the features re-introduced by now, but things didn’t go as we expected. Once S2 is more stable, then we’ll start reintroducing feaures that we’re in S1.

• 2 months later...
uniqueberry

This is already a beta product, you should just release the keymapping feature and allow us to configure it. Otherwise this product is unusable when you use mac and windows or linux together. Please stop claiming staffing issues as the problem and just get on with it.

22 hours ago, uniqueberry said:

This is already a beta product, you should just release the keymapping feature and allow us to configure it. Otherwise this product is unusable when you use mac and windows or linux together. Please stop claiming staffing issues as the problem and just get on with it.

That's why they re-marked Synergy2 as a beta and gave everyone a copy of Synergy1. I'd suggest you use 1.9.1 until things with 2.0 are more stable.

Kelvin Tran
23 hours ago, uniqueberry said:

"just release the keymapping feature"

If you'd like a refund for the software being "unusable", go ahead and email [email protected] or use the contact form on their site.

If not, go ahead and realize that there are more important things on their schedule and wait patiently for features that we want. How many other features could we ask for them to "just release"? We could ask them to just release support for more operating systems, just release a new networking topology and UDP broadcast to make their connection requests more efficient, etc. We can continue to demand that they just release it, or we can jointly develop a system where they are incentivized to, and your demands will not be a part of a system that creates incentive for them to.

uniqueberry

Kelvin,

There's been a two month period of silence regarding this issue which is quite a long time. I think that's a little ridiculous for one of the most requested features for this software by Symless' customers.  I'm not looking for a refund as I want to support the development effort of a tool that makes my life easier.  However, I am looking to have my feedback heard and something be done about it.  Beta products are best developed when there is a short feedback cycle between customers and developers.  I'm hoping this request helps the team prioritize their work to maximize customer value.

Kelvin Tran
22 minutes ago, uniqueberry said:

Kelvin,

There's been a two month period of silence regarding this issue which is quite a long time. I think that's a little ridiculous for one of the most requested features for this software by Symless' customers.  I'm not looking for a refund as I want to support the development effort of a tool that makes my life easier.  However, I am looking to have my feedback heard and something be done about it.  Beta products are best developed when there is a short feedback cycle between customers and developers.  I'm hoping this request helps the team prioritize their work to maximize customer value.

Your feedback has been heard, but this is not the only feature that has been requested. There have been other features that have been much more requested than yours, such as Synergy 2 actually working. Why do you think Synergy 2 was taken back to beta? Aside from the lack of features, one of the reasons clearly outlined was that Synergy 2 didn't work as well as they expected it to. 

You can't expect that your requested feature be bumped on a timeline above all of their other (much more important) tasks just because there's an uproar on the forum about it. They have staffing to handle, they have support tickets, they have stability issues, etc. to handle. Rest assured that you have been heard, but also rest (or don't) assured that you are not going to see this feature for many more months because of how extensive of a task stability improvement is. That feature is an extra feature that improves convenience, but does not entirely break the functionality of the software, something that I cannot say for the software actually working.

As @REiichi has said, Synergy 2 is a beta product and you are not obligated to use it by any means. Synergy 1.9.1 is now available to all users and if you need that keymapping, go ahead and use it.

Edited by Kelvin Tran
uniqueberry

Kelvin... chill.  You're just a volunteer moderator, you don't need to be so hostile in your defense of this product.

Edited by quad_bx
Profanity
Kelvin Tran
2 hours ago, uniqueberry said:

Kelvin... chill the f--k out.  You're just a volunteer moderator, you don't need to be so hostile in your defense of this product.

Hostility? That's NOT hostility. I'm giving you the truth, which is that there are other features that are, frankly, going to be higher on Symless' to-do list than mapping keys between operating systems. I'm not being hostile in giving you that truth.