Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Screen sharing

stuart macmillan

stuart macmillan

Hi all,

Since the official road map seems to contain all of the nice things we want from a keyboard/mouse sharing app I thought I would something a little different.

Firstly I know that there are many screen sharing apps out there I just thought having a single packaged app would be awesome.

I would LOVE to have the ability in synergy to move my mouse onto a PC that has no monitor and the have that screen show on a server/client monitor, obviously in a window(maximized) of some sort. Sometimes our desks are just too small for all the monitors we need. 

Feel free to disagree;)

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

We're developing a hardware prototype to do just that. We did try with software, but I feel that video-based screen sharing technology just isn't there yet. Too laggy, low quality, not seamless enough...

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
59 minutes ago, stuart macmillan said:

Will Synergy control the hardware?

Yes. Stay tuned :)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

honestly streaming stuff around can be made pretty well. I used both steam in home streaming to a laptop and to a steam link (which seems quite a lot weaker than the already pretty weak laptop) and the streaming is pretty decent for both videos and gaming, and especially gaming would be a pretty important point in this case because that stuff is interactive, meaning you cant just be lying around buffering stuff around.

although obviously you need a good enogh network, but my steamlink has no problem steaming even over WIFI (802.11n) with 1 floor/ceiling in between to a wifi switch, which with 100Mbit then again connects to the central switch of my network (gbit) which then again goes to my PC.

so even with not the best wifi and not even a full gbit on the LAN side of my PC streaming is pretty decent I have to say.

syngergy albeit with a screenshare that allows for "quick switching" between the screens would sound awesome, unlike VNC or other remote screen solutions where you either sacrifice special key shortcuts like alt tab or that once you are in you cant even get out with just the keyboard.