Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

change modifier keys and screen name in 2.0RC1

Craig D Gorsuch

Server is a Win7x64 machine, and client is macOS High Sierra.

First is the networking issue that my Mac laptop doesn't maintain a consistent machine name when leaving and returning to the office network.  That's beyond the scope of Synergy, buy I can change the computer name in 1.8.8.  How do I do this in 2.0RC1?  (See attached screenshot: mac laptop is listed on the network as "GreyBook.local", but Synergy is showing the name "ar-peteraguirrelptp.aguirre.local" which is someone else's computer.  It makes me think I'm controlling someone else's computer.)

The second issue is changing the modifier keys when I'm access the mac laptop from the Windows desktop.  I don't want to use the Windows key as the Command key, but the Alt key.

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 1.03.52 PM.png

Kelvin Tran
6 hours ago, Craig D Gorsuch said:

The second issue is changing the modifier keys when I'm access the mac laptop from the Windows desktop.  I don't want to use the Windows key as the Command key, but the Alt key.

Have you tried using SharpKeys or some equivalent of that?

SharpKeys is a Windows program that rewrites the registry so that different keys control new functions. Remember that all Synergy does is passes the code that your keyboard sends to your computer onto the second system (in terms of keyboards). So, perhaps using SharpKeys (or a macOS equivalent if SharpKeys isn't available for the Mac) would help to alleviate your issue. Just remember that this affects when you're trying to use your Mac's keyboard as well. 

Best of luck!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Mike Patnode

Has anyone had any luck with a Mac keyboard mapper swapping the Ctrl & Windows keys?  My experience is that since Synergy uses the OS X Accessibility API to fake the input, it doesn't appear to be coming from a keyboard as far as the OS is concerned.   If not obvious, I want Ctrl to be Ctrl on the PC, and have it be Command on the Mac.

• 5 weeks later...

A temporary workaround is to use the Better Touch Tool app on the Mac to reassign shortcut actions

For example, ctrl-C could be assigned cmd-C, ctrl-V to cmd-V, etc....  You would have to do this for every shortcut you need as a global replacement of ctrl => cmd does not work.

Attached image of what my current setup looks like.  You could also map the cmd shortcuts back to the ctrl shortcuts so you don't lose any functionality.

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 10.18.07 AM.png

Edited by chasmfiend
Mike Patnode

The only problem with that one, is I still need ^C for terminal windows on the Mac.   I'm now trying the strategy of having my Mac be the keyboard master.   Thinking I might have better luck with the plethora of PC key swappers.