Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Different keyboard layouts

Does any one know if using different keyboard layouts with synergy is possible? 

Recently begun my quest to teach myself programmer dvorak and when ever I use qwerty it feels like I'm forgetting what little skill in dvorak I have. This would likely also be a problem for people who use non English layouts.

If this is something that can already be done let me know. 

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Synergy 2 has the same problems as Synergy 1 when it comes to keyboard layouts. We probably won't be tackling this until 2.3 or 2.4 late next year.

Please let us know if you'd like a refund.

What are the chances that a popular feature request would quicken this development? No refund needed, I still love synergy in its current state. Might even attempt to create my own solution later... Although by the time I get around to it you might already have it done! 

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
3 hours ago, AlexanderH said:

What are the chances that a popular feature request would quicken this development?

We prioritise the most popular requests first. Unfortunately, this isn't one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
Jonathan Hong

I second moving up modifier key remapping.  I use Alt for Command on my Mac all the time and it was a function in Synergy 1...thinking of reverting until this is resolved.

Also second moving up the key remapping functionality. I needed to downgrade back to synergy v1 for this reason.

Alternatively you could just make that default behavior... I suspect no one likes having command mapped to the windows key.

Mike Patnode

+1.  Perhaps just a couple different versions?   One for PC users: Ctrl => CMD.   Are there any 3rd party work-around that do will do it?

• 2 weeks later...

Re-downloaded to use as an extra browsing screen and when I typed it came through as dvorak.... not sure what changed but i love it. do have another problem that i will be posting shortly though

On 2017-11-06 at 3:11 PM, Nick Bolton said:

We prioritise the most popular requests first. Unfortunately, this isn't one of them.

Well I would like to help make this a popular request, where do we vote on this?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
cattywampus

Agreed with all that have said it already...

Being able to remap the modifier keys is essential for anyone who uses a Windows/macOS setup; at least, for me it is anyway!.  Fortunately at the moment I am not a heavy user so am not that bummed about losing the ability to remap in V2, but I think it should defo be added back in.