Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Background Service Crash - Unable to reproduce

I experienced a strange background crash on my Windows 8.1 box, where the Synergy 2 RC1 window showed to retry connecting to it. This happened after I had put my Mac to sleep, then woke it to ensure it resumed connection just as fast as the Beta 5. After I clicked Retry in the Windows screen, it did just that, immediately and faster than Beta 4/5 connected to it once more.

I have been unable to reproduce this, and because the connection to the background service was lost, was unable to obtain the logs from it, however am posting this as it may very well happen to someone else and perhaps they will locate this thread and try to locate a pattern.

Systems in use when it occurred: Windows 8.1, macOS High Sierra, v10.13.1, Windows 7 Pro (service disabled from that computer)

No firewalls in place, no anti-virus or other security in place on network.

Edited by Onoitsu2
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

The background service can crash intermittently, but thankfully it automatically recovers. We're working on this now, an update should be available soon.

48 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

The background service can crash intermittently, but thankfully it automatically recovers. We're working on this now, an update should be available soon.

I would not even call it automatically. I had to manually click the retry in the Synergy window to get it to reconnect to it. However if it were to be totally automatic that would be nicer.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
51 minutes ago, Onoitsu2 said:

I would not even call it automatically. I had to manually click the retry in the Synergy window to get it to reconnect to it. However if it were to be totally automatic that would be nicer.

Ah, you know you don't need to keep the config window open, right?

4 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

Ah, you know you don't need to keep the config window open, right?

Aye, I know, but since it is beta, I have kept it open to see any quirks in the console from it, should something not cooperate. Mostly clipboard issues were my largest situation. But occasionally when moving screens around it would disconnect and have to reconnect several times then it succeeded. Nothing major worth reporting.

• Thanks 1