Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

30-40% CPU Usage - Win8.1x64, 1.7.3stable

Eric Boothe
Hi, Was sitting next to my PC when I heard the CPU fan start whizzing. Come and check what might be causing it and the synergyd process had started taking 70% CPU and spooled down to 30-40% range right now. It's held there for the past 15 minutes. I have no devices connected currently (laptop is hibernating in its bag). DMP File: [url]https://mega.co.nz/#!msNxjKxR!0X0-zGgeAjfDy8b1x4JoflEtHxkfcGdfGKRV5liSJ7s[/url] Let me know what you think, I'm gonna keep the process alive while Malwarebytes does it's thing and maybe can sniff out a culprit that attached to that process if there is one. EDIT: Should I try the nightly referenced here? [url]https://github.com/synergy/synergy/issues/4721[/url]
danci1973
Just to confirm - using Synergy 1.7.3 (pro, if it matters) I'm seeing a similar issue on a Windows 7 x64 (a 'Synergy server'). The 'synergyd' process consumes 25% of CPU (on a quad core machine that probably means one whole core) all the time. The 'client' machine doesn't seem to have that problem.
Isaac To
I am here to confirm also. I have install the synergy client on my windows 8.1 machine. It has a i7-4770 processor. It is using around 15% of the CPU, and that's too much for such a process.
Stefan Schaffner
I am here to [b]confirm [/b]also. I have installed the synergy client on my windows 8.1 machine (Sony VAIO notebook). My Configuration: * i7-2640M CPU * 8 GB RAM * The synergyd task is using around 30% of the CPU I could record a WAV file of my CPU fan, if you want :-)
Stefan Schaffner
[quote="Stefan Schaffner"]I am here to [b]confirm [/b]also. I have installed the synergy client on my windows 8.1 machine (Sony VAIO notebook). [/quote] I just downloaded the last nightly build. The issue seems to be fixed. Thanks!
Ben Koenig
Hi guys, For reference the nightly build is located here: [url]http://synergy-project.org/nightly?filter=099c984[/url] Give it a try!
Eric Boothe
I'm going to try the nightly. It wasn't just server, it was client side as well. Albeit the client side was running at 15-20% rather than the higher 30% I saw on my server. Will report back!
Same here. Arch linux host and win8.1 client. I haven't noticed any significant CPU utilisation on the host but the client will consistently sit on around 15% (synergyd), which I initially noticed when my CPU fan would spin up more regularly than usual. Having the configuration screen/GUI up would cause it to subside. The problem would reoccur after closing the GUI. The nightly seems to resolve this, though I've only just installed it to test. So far so good.
  • 3 weeks later...
Ben Koenig
There were some odd things on my Windows 7 with process management. Synergy was fine until something unexpected happened. In 1.7.4 Synergy is recovering much more gracefully across the board. Thanks for bringing this up everyone!
Ian Storrs
I have the same issue. Synergy UI client locks up while using 37% of CPU and 685MB ram. Sometimes it uses even more RAM and the machine becomes very slow. At the same time, the service is using about 170MB ram. How can a virtual kvm solution require 1GB of RAM? When I force close the program, Windows describes the issue as: escription: A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows. Problem signature: Problem Event Name: AppHangB1 Application Name: synergy.exe Application Version: 0.0.0.0 Application Timestamp: 55649e19 Hang Signature: a4ac Hang Type: 0 OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Hang Signature 1: a4ac09ff3f101456f71dbeece382cd2e Additional Hang Signature 2: 2f8f Additional Hang Signature 3: 2f8f247ac1ae7db8a9d2c43e5f2542eb Additional Hang Signature 4: a4ac Additional Hang Signature 5: a4ac09ff3f101456f71dbeece382cd2e Additional Hang Signature 6: 2f8f Additional Hang Signature 7: 2f8f247ac1ae7db8a9d2c43e5f2542eb
Gerardo Diaz
Here to report the same issue. Version 1.7.3. Running the server side on Fedora 20. Two clients running windows 8.1 Update. [list] [*]Surface Pro 3[/*:m] [*]HP Laptop[/*:m][/list:u] On both the Windows Machines it take 15% - 20% CPU. More annoying on Surface since it overheat and drains the battery way too fast. Observations: [list] [*]I close the synergy window as soon as I start it. This will leave a process synergyd.exe running in the background. [/*:m] [*]Once I leave any of the clients to get back to the main desktop, they start consuming 20% CPU.[/*:m] [*]If I reopen the Synergy GUI, then the CPU load stays down. If I close the GUI, it will go high again ass soon as the mouse leaves that screen.[/*:m][/list:u] Just joined and it is very disappointing to see that the stable version is called stable with an issue like the one we are all having. I hope this helps and that it is fixed soon (not on a nightly build, but in a stable release). Going to try the nightly build but not too happy with the software so far.
  • 2 years later...