Hello! đź‘‹

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Windows Uninstall Fails

Unable to uninstall Synergy 2 beta from Add/Remove programs... msiexec.exe complains the "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I'm logged in with a domain admin account that has local admin rights.

Thanks Nick. I did reboot and I get the same error. Tried rebooting into safe mode, but not able to run the installer service in safe mode unless I do a little registry hacking. Which I can do if necessary, but wondering if I don't have to resort to that. FYI... I'm uninstalling because I got the "white screen of death" that I saw others reporting. Decided to uninstall and just wait for a more stable release.

I did see that post, but didn't continue when the Add/Remove option failed. I've since removed those files and registry entries. The "router" file was marked as busy, so I stopped the Synergy service, which then allowed me to delete the file, and then I set the service to disabled. However, I'm still not able to use Add/Remove programs to delete the software completely. And I've rebooted after each step.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
8 minutes ago, Brian Beam said:

I did see that post, but didn't continue when the Add/Remove option failed. I've since removed those files and registry entries. The "router" file was marked as busy, so I stopped the Synergy service, which then allowed me to delete the file, and then I set the service to disabled. However, I'm still not able to use Add/Remove programs to delete the software completely. And I've rebooted after each step.

Could you please email us? [email protected]

Quick update... I ran the "classic" control panel app, then add/remove programs within there, and I was able to uninstall the 2.0 beta. It was the universal settings version of add/remove programs that failed.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
Just now, Brian Beam said:

Quick update... I ran the "classic" control panel app, then add/remove programs within there, and I was able to uninstall the 2.0 beta. It was the universal settings version of add/remove programs that failed.

Interesting. Thanks for the update!