Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

No mouse and keyboard input on Ubuntu 17.10 client

I am trying the latest version on Synergy on the daily build of Ubuntu 17.10 (as client). The server is a Windows 10 host.

I can see "entering screen" and "leaving screen" info messages, however the mouse does not move and keyboard input is ignored.

Debug logging shows that the client receives input ("recv mouse move", "keystroke", etc.), yet the mouse cursor does not move and keyboard input has no visible effect.

Is there any info on how to get Synergy working on Ubuntu 17.10?

I understand this version of Ubuntu is not released yet and my expectations are set accordingly.

Same here when server is Ubuntu 16.04 and client is Ubuntu 17.10.

When both are 17.10, there is no connection at all. Logs contain an error:

[2017-10-20T16:29:23] INFO: starting client
[2017-10-20T16:29:23] INFO: config file: .synergy/synergy.conf
[2017-10-20T16:29:23] INFO: log level: ERROR
[2017-10-20T16:29:23] INFO: log file: /var/log/synergy.log
[2017-10-20T16:29:32] ERROR: ssl error occurred (system call failure)
    /build/synergy-R40txi/synergy-1.8.8-stable+dfsg.1/src/lib/net/SecureSocket.cpp,576

It works, if you use "ubuntu xorg" .. which can be selected if you click the "cog icon" on the login screen. ... New ubuntu uses the "wayland" display manager, which may not be supported ....

Bruno CC Santos

I'm using Ubuntu 17.10 for server and Windows 10 for client, move movement works, except when on the ubuntu machine terminal is opened and maximized, in which case I can't move the mouse cursor to the client. Keyboard works mainly well, except for alt+tab, which executes on the server even if the mouse cursor is on the client.

Running 1.8.8 on a Windows 10 Server, and Ubuntu 17.10 client. 

Can confirm what @pmariosays:
- works as expected if you login with the `ubuntu xorg` 
- network connectivity works on the new display manager (but the mouse cursor doesn't move, and keyboard doesn't work)
- `alt+tab` seems to have no issue

This is just a warning. .. If you click OK, the program is shown, because it can't display the icon in the system tray. ... API is different, since ubuntu switched to gnome UI from Unity.

For me the connection is established, as soon as it shows the program UI.

Did you click OK? ... Then you'll probably need to wait several seconds. .. I think there are some timeouts involved. ... For me after about 5 seconds the config UI pops up and the connection can be configured and it is established, once it is configured.

Getex Informatica

@pmario

I have totally removed and I have installed again. 
Synergy now works but the graphical interface still does not appear. 
Best Regards
Klaasvortex

Running 1.8.8 on a Windows 10 , and Ubuntu 17.10 client. 

Can confirm what @pmariosays:
- works as expected if you login with the `ubuntu xorg` 
- network connectivity works on the new display manager (but the mouse cursor doesn't move, and keyboard doesn't work)
- `alt+tab` seems to have no issue

- I also have to disable SSH

Getex Informatica

@Klaasvortex

I confirm ubuntu xorg works perfectly with the keyboard and the mouse.
I don't know how to disable SSH
It works fine except that I can not access the synergy graphic interface

Regards

• 1 month later...

I've had the same issue ... or lets say it looks for me like these issue because the solution was pretty easy and unexpected.

synergy connected from ubuntu 17.10 and windows 10 successfully.

BUT i was not able to move to cursor to the windows screen, because they was on the left side, and the dock was capturing the mouse (for any reason synergy will not work if the mouse is on top on any menu element in gnome) 

so i moved the dock to the right side .... and now it works

• 4 weeks later...
Anthony Somerset

I can also confirm switching from wayland mode to X11 gets things working correctly as a 17.10 client to mac server

however as i'm running ubuntu on a retina macbook pro that kills my touchpad for some reason that i've yet to diagnose :(

wayland support needs to be handled really - i had to downgrade from 2 because 2 just wasn't working reliably enough either

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this will work for you, but after plugging a mouse into the Ubuntu box, I get full Synergy functionality between Windows, Mac and Ubuntu machines.

Do note that you can remove the mouse and the cursor will still display and work fine, but if you logout, you will have to plug in the mouse again.

Not ideal, but a working solution.

I have the same issue, but I can actually type at windows (like the terminal window), and if I click and drag on the desktop, I can see where the mouse is. It just doesn't match the location of the pointer, which does not move.

The dock appears to ignore input from keyboard or mouse, even though the desktop kinda sees it, and client windows definitely take keyboard input.

If a support ticket has not been submitted, I can certainly do so. I just don't want to duplicate effort.

@Renbear Do you use "ubuntu xorg". See my first post

On 10/20/2017 at 5:41 PM, pmario said:

It works, if you use "ubuntu xorg" .. which can be selected if you click the "cog icon" on the login screen. ... New ubuntu uses the "wayland" display manager, which may not be supported ....

Andre Natal

I am also having this issue. OSX as server and Ubuntu 17 running wayland as client. No mouse neither keyboard on ubuntu but I see the switching messages in the host. Synergy needs to support Wayland. I don't want to use an obsolete window manager (X) to support synergy :(

• Like 1