Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Symless server down?

stuart macmillan

stuart macmillan

Hi,

I'm getting errors on all of my synergy 2 machines this morning. I checked the logs and looks like a 504 error:

[2017-10-16T07:56:22] ERROR: Reply status code: 504
[ Config  ] [2017-10-16T07:56:22] ERROR: Reply status code: 504

Windows application event log:

Faulting application name: synergy2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x59b9380d
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.15063.674, time stamp: 0x8ac9f9d4
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000007350e
Faulting process id: 0xd74
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3464358543b7c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Synergy\synergy2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: 9e1f5f93-437e-4dc9-80ac-6f75ead464c4
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Synergy2.exe is not handling the exception elegantly and just closes.

Stuart

Same here...

Got this in log:

[ Config  ] [2017-10-16T08:05:26] ERROR: Reply status code: 504
[ Config  ] [2017-10-16T08:05:26] ERROR: Reply status code: 504
[ Config  ] [2017-10-16T08:17:09] INFO: log filename: C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Symless/Synergy/synergy.log
[ Config  ] [2017-10-16T08:17:09] DEBUG: connecting to service
[ Config  ] [2017-10-16T08:17:09] DEBUG: connected to service
[ Config  ] [2017-10-16T08:17:10] DEBUG: new added screen pos: 257 161

Edited by Something

I am not getting any errors in the log, but the machines cannot see each other. However, after a minute or so the Mac GUI app just crashes.

1 minute ago, RichM said:

Seeing the same here. Only one screen appears and after a minute or so Synergy "crashes unexpectedly". Seen on both Linux and Windows 7.

Spoke too soon. It is magically working again!

stuart macmillan

It looks like a startup issue.

2 machine left on last night are working fine but I cant start synergy2 on my laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I didn't really have a choice about giving it a try given that when I tried to start Synergy this morning I got a message saying that beta4 had been disabled and my only choice was to install beta5 before doing anything else!

Anyhow I did install beta5 and the installer seemed to work fine on both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 16.04. The services did seem to be immediately talking to each other but each computer didn't seem to kick into life until I opened the Synergy frontend on them (a bit of a pain when I'd ideally want to use the shared keyboard and mouse to do anything on the other machines).

Since then I've noticed the following:

• The service (or was it core) crashed a number of times on both windows 7 and Ubuntu 16.04.
  • Things seemed to settle down for a while but my laptop (ubuntu) got upset when I went from wifi to wired (different subnets).
  • I rebooted one of the windows machines and at that point synergy basically became useless on all of the computers. A couple of them are sitting saying "There was a problem connecting to the background service. Retry" but others are just sitting there seemingly talking to each other but not sharing keyboard/mouse.
  • One of the windows computers seemed to have synergy-core.exe restarting every few seconds so I suspect it was crashing.
  • I'm rather hoping that a restart of the synery services on all computers will fix stuff.

Overall my impression is that this build is worse. At least for beta4 once I got things connected it stayed connected for the rest of the day. But now it is falling over during the day and that is seriously hampering usefulness.

I also hope that the built in obsolescence isn't a sign of things to come. I understand the desirability of having a central server to help connect various computers together but at the same time I don't like the idea of suddenly finding out that software isn't going to run.

So sadly I'm not really seeing an improvement here at the moment.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
18 hours ago, RichM said:

each computer didn't seem to kick into life until I opened the Synergy frontend

This is probably the bug where the core sometimes takes 15 seconds to connect. Or it might be that Linux isn't detecting local input, and opening the config UI triggers this. Either way, this will be fixed in the next version.

A couple of them are sitting saying "There was a problem connecting to the background service. Retry"

We're working on a couple of bugs right now where the service is crashing, this will also be fixed for the next version.

I also hope that the built in obsolescence isn't a sign of things to come.

This is only for the beta.

11 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

This is probably the bug where the core sometimes takes 15 seconds to connect. Or it might be that Linux isn't detecting local input, and opening the config UI triggers this. Either way, this will be fixed in the next version.

We're working on a couple of bugs right now where the service is crashing, this will also be fixed for the next version.

This is only for the beta.

Thanks. I sent the logs from all the computers yesterday so hopefully that will be useful.

For info I found that things did come back to life sensibly this morning. I left one computer on overnight doing a long running compilation but the others would have slept/hibernated at some point. One (maybe two of the front-ends were complaining about the connection being gone) but the keyboard/mouse sharing was actually working fine. Currently the front end's that I have open are showing a fake reality about what is alive/connected but the sharing is working so I'm leaving well alone for now. Will be interesting to see what happens when I wake the other computers up later.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
22 minutes ago, RichM said:

Will be interesting to see what happens when I wake the other computers up later.

Before trying to troubleshoot, try waiting 15 seconds. There's a bug where it takes about that long to reconnect. If that doesn't solve the issue, then try restarting the background services.